Discussion Archive: May 2013

24 May 2013 - 11:22am
nina.wishbow

Call for participation: SIGDOC 2013 (new deadline: June 1)

SIGDOC conferences address issues in interaction design, content strategy, information architecture, user experience, and technical communication.

The conference theme is “simplifying complexity.” Here are some theme-inspired suggestions for topics:

24 May 2013 - 12:44am
alie rose

CIID Summer School - The Quantified Self

Looking for a creative way to spend your summer break?

In July, Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design is running a 2-week workshop that will demonstate how to access and use your own personal data to generate on-screen visualiations and 3D data 'sculptures'.

Taught by Marius Watz, participants will learn and explore a series of tools and techniques - including Processing and digital fabrication.

On top of all that, Copenhagen is a great city to visit when the sun is shining!

23 May 2013 - 9:26am
+1
Terms:
Dan Saffer

Microinteractions

My new book Microinteractions: Designing with Details (which some of you got a preview of at Interaction13 in Toronto) is available now!

20 May 2013 - 8:22pm
1 year ago
1 reply
Jacynthe Roberge

Appel à contribution / Call for papers

Dear colleagues,
Chers collègues,

Here is a French call for papers for the journal Interfaces numériques.

Voici un appel à contributions pour un numéro thématique sur l'enseignement universitaire du design interactif dans la revue Interfaces numériques. La date limite pour l'envoi d'une proposition est le 1er juin 2013. N'hésitez pas à communiquer avec moi si vous désirez plus d'information.

Au plaisir de vous lire.

Cordialement.

20 May 2013 - 10:17am
1 year ago
5 replies
Terms:
sherihy

Drupal for UX professionals

I am starting an engagement doing the UI for a large-scale Drupal implementation. I have no Drupal experience. Does anyone have ideas for me (videos, books, message boards, etc) to get up to speed? I see that there are a plethora of resources out there, but most that I have found are either geared toward developers, or they are small scale, like setting up your own blog.

16 May 2013 - 5:11pm
Terms:
kingofark

The Myth of Good Designers

ABSTRACT

There’s a ridiculous myth about good designers: they can deliver higher quality work faster. That’s simply NOT true when it comes to design.

This post originated from a discussion between a friend and me about designers and the “design field scene” in China. I wonder whether the same or similar issue exists in all other countries. Comment!

15 May 2013 - 9:35am
+1
1 year ago
7 replies
Neil James

What are your thoughts on the "F.A.Q." label?

Hey everybody, I have an interesting question for you.

I'm working with a local provider of autism therapy services to build them a new website. 

15 May 2013 - 9:28am
+1
Xiying Wang

Save energy and win 200 dollars (an UX study)

Hi folks, going to a trip this summer and staying in a hotel? You get a chance to win 200 dollars!

I want to invite you to a UX around energy use diary study for approximately 30 minutes - 45 minutes. Please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/a/cornell.edu/forms/d/1Tgmp7WjLerKIOHG7XLPuKP62U....

Kendra Shimmell

Let's design the future of public radio

Hi Folks, 

Come join me at the June UX Boot Camp! We'll be designing a new interactive experience for public radio listeners and contributors. To sweeten the deal, I'd like to offer all IxDA members a special 15% discount. To cash in, just register here with the code "IxDAMember".

10 May 2013 - 1:05pm
Louis Rosenfeld

ANN: Steve Portigal's "Interviewing Users" is now on sale

Hi folks, just a note that we recently published Steve Portigal's new book, Interviewing Users: How To Uncover Compelling Insights. Given that many of you already know Steve and his work, I thought you'd like to know about his book.