Discussion Archive: September 2012

juliecab

Online reports and flexible data display grids -- good examples for non-technical users?

Hello, I am embarking on a large project to redesign an online reporting tool for a non-technical audience.

Background: Today, this tool exists in an online service for a very large non-technical user base. The reports are very important to this user base to track personal sales, team sales, personal data and team data. The user base itself is largely non-technical, and generally are not very interested or familiar with reporting tools and often refer to themselves almost as scared of reports in general.

17 Sep 2012 - 9:16am
Joe Sokohl

edUi conference is coming up next week

With just a week to go we've still got some tickets for edUi 2012 (http://eduiconf.org) available. We sold out last year and we'd love to repeat that success again this year. We still have space in three of our workshops: LeanUX, jQuery, Web Accessibility (one is included with your registration).

IxDA readers get $100 off making all two and a half days just $450. Use the promo code ‘ixda’ when you begin checkout.

17 Sep 2012 - 8:13am
alie rose

CIID - Interaction Design Internships

About CIID

CIID Consulting provides clients with expertise in design and innovation, focused mainly in the categories of interaction design, design research, strategy, and service design.

At CIID Consulting, we:

15 Sep 2012 - 5:20pm
2 years ago
1 reply
Steve Portigal

Looking for an older quote from Gillian Crampton-Smith

I came across this quote in 1998 or so, from Gillian Crampton-Smith, then of RCA. I used it in a magazine, Turn Signals, that I was working on at the time, but don't have that particular issue any longer, and I can't remember the quote.

It had something to do with creativity in design (I think) and being prompted by "sand in the emollient flow" - I most definitely remember the use of "emollient."

My Google-fu has totally failed me; I've scanned my hard drive, etc. I'm going to reach out to IUAV but my hopes are low.

15 Sep 2012 - 6:16am
2 years ago
2 replies
digikev

What questions should I be asking this company in an interview next week?

I have an interview with a large pan-European technology company next week who are opening up a new role for a user experience architect. Reading between the lines in the job spec, the role also involves service design and some business analysis; this is something that I welcome. As a company that is opening up a new user experience architect role, what are the pertinent questions I should be asking to uncover what is planned for the future? I don’t want to be a UX team of one for the long-term.

13 Sep 2012 - 1:54pm
IxDA Interactio...

Just Do It! Tips on How to Create an Award-Winning Submission from 2012 Winner, Huge.

Guest Post By Michal Pasternak, partner and head of user experience at Huge.

13 Sep 2012 - 11:24am
SuzInDC

Got an App for Projecting Time?

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some kind of app that can help me visualize how booked I am with projects and when I will open up. I'm thinking something that allows me to list out my projects, indicate how many hours I expect to work day-by-day or week-by-week over a period of time into the future. Then I can see when the total hours falls below my available working hours.

I don't want to use a traditional Gantt chart, but something that allows me to see real numbers. In that way I want to see if my total is above, below, or spot on the number I have available.

12 Sep 2012 - 3:03pm
2 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
tdellaringa

Suggestions for UI presentation for Designers?

Hi there, 

I've been asked to give a presentation on the fundamentals/theory of UI design for our game development artists. It's a tricky thing, especially since our artists range in experience from decades to new hires. The idea is that our game artists produce UI's all the time as part of their games, and could benefit from learning some basics that might either help them understand the things they do or help them create better solutions. 

12 Sep 2012 - 1:32pm
IxDA Interactio...

33 Countries Were Represented in Interaction Awards 2012--Help Us Do Better This Year.

We firmly believe that understanding and recognizing the rich and diverse interaction design thinking and process from all corners of the world is fundamental to evolving our shared profession and making good on our IxDA mission: improving the human condition through improvements in interaction design.

12 Sep 2012 - 12:14pm
1 year ago
1 reply
sdweiss

UX Organization

My company is considering where UX is placed. I found a number of articles on the topic, and have read Institutionalizing Usability by HFI's founder (and I was employed by HFI in 2008-2009). I'd like to discuss how companies of 2,000-10,000 employees organize user experience:

- Title and role of senior-most UX officer

- Distribution of resources (single cost center vs. matrix)

- UX team make-up and organization

- Key benefits and challenges

If you know of articles, blogs, or slideshares, please post them here too.