Discussion Archive: August 2012

31 Aug 2012 - 12:34pm
TeresaBrazen

Cooper U Interaction Design: Nov 6-9, San Francisco

Learn about Personas and Goal-Directed design from the people who invented them! Our practicum is an intensive, hands-on workshop led by senior Cooper staff. First, we'll show you how to practice Goal-Directed Design in more depth than you'll find anywhere else, then you and a small group of professionals from around the world will put it into practice to design an example product.

31 Aug 2012 - 12:23pm
TeresaBrazen

Cooper Parlor: What good is a screen? Wed. Sept 19, 6:30pm

0 0 1 11 66 Cooper 1 1 76 14.0 Normal 0<

30 Aug 2012 - 4:56pm
2 years ago
3 replies
DamonV

Best-of-breed UX for managing users & permissions?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to examples of great UI for user management. It needs to be able to deal well with large numbers of users, batch-wise adding/editing, and provide sufficient flexibility and granularity in roles & permissions without becoming unmanageable.

Any suggestions much appreciated!
Damon

ian.jang

User Friendly 2012 Conference in Beijing, China on 9 Nov. to 11 Nov.

With the popularization of products and services characterized by user experience (abbreviated as UX thereafter) among customers, UX has become a hit in the profession so much so that there is now an enormous demand for UX talents even though most enterprises have already employed UX professionals or even established related departments. The ever widening gap between supply and demand of UX-related professionals, however, has propelled the engagement of many a non-professional in UX and the establishment of UX as a major in colleges and universities.

26 Aug 2012 - 7:40pm
1 year ago
5 replies
Terms:
AJ Kock

Display of Multiple Settings

I was wondering if there is any suggested patterns for when you have settings options for a program and also have settings options for apps inside the program.

Do you seperate the settings or keep everything under the main program's settings and just add a section; if the user install one or more of the 40 available apps? With the possibility of 40 apps, it longer sounds reasonable to put it all together. Any suggestions?

26 Aug 2012 - 7:19am
+1
2 years ago
4 replies
Sean Gerety

Bill Buxton to Keynote Remix South 2012

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Bill Buxton will be keynoting this years Remix South conference.  It's a community hosted conference so we're keeping the cost low.  This will be the only US speaking engagement for Bill this year.  Plus, we've got a great UX track which includes both workshops and sessions.

The UX workshops are:

24 Aug 2012 - 9:36am
2 years ago
3 replies
Brett Christenson

UX Continuing Education

Beyond reading articles or blogs targeted around UX, what resources do you use to stay relevant or increase your UX understanding/skills? I have been looking in to some conferences (some look better than others) but I was wondering if anyone has found any online courses or something similar. My thought is that something online would allow easier access and if it was structured like a courses I could have some exercises or other methods to reinforce UX topics.

atemonsters

From Graphic Design to UI/UX

Hello fellow design junkies,

21 Aug 2012 - 1:27pm
2 years ago
11 replies
jeff

UX for developers

In a couple weeks, I'll be giving a presentation on UX to developers at my company who work on internal tools. Most of us work in a fairly unstructured environment with no designers or even project managers. I want to convince them that UX is important and give a few concrete tips for things they can begin incorporating into their workflows. If this goes well, hopefully I'll be able to get many of them to attend more in-depth workshops in the future.

William Hudson

User-Centred IA with Card Sorting Webinar on 30 Aug & UCD 2012

User-Centred Information Architecture with Card Sorting Webinar

Users rely on the words and concepts we use in menus to understand what our product or service is about and how to achieve their goals - checking on their latest auction bid or getting a handle on their cash flow, for example. While it is certainly possible to invent information architectures without reference to users, card sorting is a powerful and easy-to-use