Discussion Archive: June 2012

25 Jun 2012 - 7:41pm
2 years ago
2 replies
StevenDufresne1

Working on a web application prototype.

How effective is placeholder text, assuming that the user can actually see it  (re:IE). Any material on the subject?

Thanks ahead of time.

25 Jun 2012 - 7:04pm
TeresaBrazen

Cooper U: UX Boot Camp

In this four-day workshop, our industry experts will guide you through the goal-directed design process we use to create useful, meaningful, impactful digital products and services. You will partner with designers, engineers, and product managers from around the world to address a specific real world challenge for local nonprofit. Cooper U educators and nonprofit representatives will review final concepts presented by small teams and donate $1000 to the nonprofit in the name of the winning team.

25 Jun 2012 - 8:21am
2 years ago
5 replies
lijahogan

Responsive Design Poll

I am hearing from a lot of clients who are asking questions about whether or not now (or ever) is the time to invest in a responsively designed site - that is, if they should use media queries and fluid proportion-based layouts to provide an optimized experience across devices and browsers.

William Hudson

Navigation & Menu Design Webinar on 5 July

(Apologies if you receive more than one of these.)

Navigation & Menu Design Webinar on 5 July at 16:30 London Time

The third of our series of Guerrilla UCD webinars is Thursday 5 July. Whether you and your team are building web sites, intranets or apps the basic principles of navigation and menu design are the same. And while formal information architecture is appropriate for larger projects, in many cases all that's needed to improve user experience is a better understanding of navigation fundamentals.

The webinar covers:

jaxxon

PROPOSAL: Remote User Testing - LET'S TRADE! - I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Fellow IxDA colleagues, interaction peers, and UX design nutjobs!

LET'S SWAP USER TESTS!! (Hey, baby... I'll test your app if you test mine!)

So, like in this community, I'm an Interaction/UX designer working on an app. We're trying to get some good hands-on user testing and as a UX guy, I'm keen on getting that extra critical feedback only possible from keen IxD peeps such as yourself.

Whadaya say???

Please DM me at Jackson at jacksondcarson.com and we can take it from there.

21 Jun 2012 - 2:06pm
2 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
alotofmath

Web analytics question

Hi,

I am assessing some web products we use at a library. (Yes, not a very exciting environment, but what can you do?)

Can anyone show me some good examples of how to present this sort of data in a report?  And, any good resources on the topic of analytics I can refer to that you may know of?

20 Jun 2012 - 11:06pm
2 years ago
5 replies
jazzballg

Clarifications regarding the Digital Media program at Georgia Tech

Hey guys,

I'm Govind from Bangalore, and I've received an admit for the Digital Media (MS) program at Georgia Tech, this fall and have a few clarifications regarding the course. Just to give you an insight into my background, I've been dabbling with Photoshop and a lil bit of Illustrator, and have reasonable design skills. Programming wise, I'm familiar with C, haven't been involved in web design (CSS, HTML, PHP) yet..

20 Jun 2012 - 3:03pm
+1
1 year ago
7 replies
MichelleFiesta

Looking for insight on graduate programs in Interaction Design

I have recently been looking into the possibility of interaction design as a career choice, and I was wondering what sort of graduate school programs would be open to me. I have been perusing the discussion boards, but it seems as though there aren't very many conversations about this in the past couple of years about it so I was wanting to get an updated perspective.

20 Jun 2012 - 12:23pm
2 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
kamper59

Some tips to get into UCL ?

Hello everybody!

I'm a student from Barcelona with a Computer science background. And after 1 year seeking the industry where I want to end up working, I decided  to pursue a career in the User Interface industry.

I've been doing some research and finally I decided to enroll in UCL and do the HCI-E MSc.

I want to apply there and they require me to write a personal statement and a critical review from one article or book about HCI. As I don't have a strong HCI background I'm really worried about that because I really really want to do the MSc.

20 Jun 2012 - 9:16am
2 years ago
1 reply
cguenthe

Adobe Muse

I've used several different tools to develop prototypes for presentations and user experience testing. Increasingly, I'm hearing more and more chatter regarding Adobe Muse. I'm wondering if anyone has used this to develop rapid prototypes and whether it's worth investing the time and effort to learn.