Discussion Archive: November 2011

24 Nov 2011 - 6:33am
2 years ago
4 replies
abhijith.rao@gm...

Displaying different data types in a grid/ table.

Hi!

Has anyone successfully displayed or come across an example where different types of data are in a table on different rows?

To be clearer; data (results) does not share common column headers. Like Cars, Fruits and Computer components in a common search.

I can see that on a web application or a normal search these can be listed out like a page of results, but in my case I am constrained to showing them in a table of search results. I have tried a couple of options, but not completely convinced with it.

23 Nov 2011 - 5:23pm
2 years ago
1 reply
okosoft

Eye tracking

Hi, guys!

I have bought Tobii eye tracker. If you have some test, I'd like to do partnership with any of you.

23 Nov 2011 - 4:59pm
2 years ago
5 replies
llingelbach

"Download to CSV"- User Friendly Terminology, or not?

Hello all,

I am wanting to create a link for users to download a CSV file. I'm not sure if the link should be titled "Download to CSV" or not, seeing as that might be confusing to users. Being new to the UX world myself, I wasn't sure what a CSV file is, so I can only imagine how other users feel.

Let me know if there are any "best practices" or new research on this topic!

Your input is greatly appreciated!

23 Nov 2011 - 7:13am
2 years ago
2 replies
Raelynn OLeary

Seeking speakers [designers, urban planners, architects] who are working in community design...

During the Interaction 12 Local Leaders workshop in Dublin we are going to explore how we can design richer interaction design communities in our localities. It is the aim of many local groups to be more than event planning organizations. We hope to foster community and dialogue outside of events and serve as hubs for knowledge around our discipline. As such, we are looking for urban planners, Design Council members or other designers applying design thinking and methodologies in their communities to speak to the group about their approach to communitybuilding.
23 Nov 2011 - 12:47am
2 years ago
4 replies
tstutts

Looking to make more UI/UX contacts in SF

Hi Group,

I'm going to be in SF after Thanksgiving for the month of December and am eager to connect with anyone there. I've spent the entire past year working offsite doing remote contract work with US clients, while living in Barcelona. It's been a great experience for me thus far, though it would be nice to have some face-time with actual people in my field in California. I'd be happy to meet for coffee with anyone who is interested.

Regards,

22 Nov 2011 - 2:44pm
2 years ago
2 replies
huhjina

Final Call for Participation: Design for Health at the ACM CSCW'12 conference

0 0 1 481 2745 University of Washington 22 6 3220 14.0 Norma

22 Nov 2011 - 10:13am
2 years ago
5 replies
toothychum

Good online survey tool

Hi there. This is my first post on IxDA!

22 Nov 2011 - 5:56am
2 years ago
3 replies
hilary b

Accessibility Standards for non browser based interfaces

Hi All,

I am working on a new system specification and at the moment we dont know if it will be browser based or not - it may be desktop / client software.
That being the case, I am less familiar with standards for non browser based interfaces. We are currently looking at some ISO's. While they cover common HCI concepts, I think they are a little thin on interface accessibility - particularly around the additional provision for partialy sighted users etc.
Could someone recommend alternative standards or reference material?

22 Nov 2011 - 1:05am
2 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
Janna

Online Card Sort PLUS architecture

Hi all! It's been a while since I've been active here. I'm jumping into the pool of online research tools. I'm looking for a tool that will allow card sort capability but also capture architecture suggestions. so, not just sorting shoes into flats and heels but also understanding the cognitive map of the larger site and how one might think about getting from a list of shoes to a list of purses and accessories, etc. 

Has anyone seen a tool like that? I've looked at websort.net and a few others, but they just allow categorization not architecture. 

Thanks!

21 Nov 2011 - 4:34pm
Carolyn Chandler

[IxDA] 12 Week Web Design Course - Chicago

Hi all,

I wanted to let folks know about a new course in Web Design in Chicago through Code Academy. This is a 12 week, intensive course that will cover design research, the basics of business and user modeling, iterative conceptual design and detailed design using a variety of tools including prototyping via HTML/CSS. The program starts January 9th and is held in person in Chicago.

Design classes will be held in the afternoon; there are development classes held in the morning, and we're structuring the program to allow for plenty of interaction between students of both.