Discussion Archive: November 2011

30 Nov 2011 - 11:36pm
Austin Govella

[LOCAL] Houston - Tue, Dec 6, Kelsey Ruger presents on using stories to communicate more effectively

This next Tue, Dec 6, Houston Experience Design will host a presentation by the brilliant Kelsey Ruger:

How To I.N.S.P.I.R.E: How Star Wars Taught Me To Connect Through Stories

A great speaker, Kelsey's been fascinated with how you can communicate more effectively using stories for the last several years, and this presentation reflects the latest in his study and practice.

We'll be at Caroline Collective from 7-10pm with food and drinks and great people.

30 Nov 2011 - 5:46pm
3 years ago
5 replies
DamonV

Implementing limited voice commands - feasibility and usability

Hi everyone,

I'm redesigning a software tool for doctors, and am considering including voice commands in the section where doctors need their hands and eyes on the patient, not the keyboard and screen. However, I've never designed for voice commands before, so I'm trying to understand feasibility and usability. Here are some details:

30 Nov 2011 - 12:49pm
llingelbach

Reading VS. Watching

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any reserach recently done on the user's preference of online learning methods (i.e. reading articles over watching videos) ? A lot of UX sites touch on these topics, but do not go into detail.

What I know is that it tends to be a user preference, but is there any data to back up on side or the other?

Also, would another search term work better?

Your help is valued!!

Thanks!

30 Nov 2011 - 8:11am
+1
3 years ago
5 replies
leex1080

How do you or others get informed about the UX activities being performed at your company today?

It has been my experience that UX work gets done and no one really gets to see the results of those activities. Especially in large organizations with many products and many developement teams. How are others getting around this problem so there is communication across the organization to reduce duplicate work, consistency issues, etc?

29 Nov 2011 - 11:25am
DigitalWoman

(Event) Celebrate Achievements of Women in Technology & Business with Webgrrls - Dec 6 & 7

(Event) Celebrate Achievements of Women in Technology & Business with Webgrrls - Dec 6 & 7

Hello Everyone,

Holiday Season is fast approaching and to kick it off we are organizing a dual-city Webgrrls International Holiday Celebration December 6th with the San Francisco Webgrrls and December 7th with the New York City Webgrrls, and when the Webgrrls Community gets together, it becomes an industry event, not only about revelry but also about the celebration o

29 Nov 2011 - 11:15am
3 years ago
6 replies
iokasti

UX feedback for client question

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to give UX feedback on a website, and prepared a lot of handwritten notes on it. I now want to give this feedback to the client and I was wondering what format to present this feedback in a "professional" way. This is my first UX gig so your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sofia

28 Nov 2011 - 6:17pm
3 years ago
3 replies
tstutts

PDF vs web-based IxD portfolios

I'm trying to get a sense for whether it's more effective to have a PDF or web-based IxD portfolio. I am currently going the online route, but I like the self-contained aspect and officialness that a PDF suggests. Does this communicate more effectively with a senior generation of managers/leaders? Can a PDF portfolio cater more to specific industries, like entertainment? Has anyone used both types and noticed a more positive reception of one or the other?

28 Nov 2011 - 12:05pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Ally

Home Page Usability Guidelines

Hello,

I was looking for research or any information on current usability practices for home page design. I haven't been able to find anything detailed except for Nielsen Norman Group's home page usability guidelines.

Thank you.

Ally

25 Nov 2011 - 2:31am
3 years ago
6 replies
Terms:
kamaksh

Infographics

Hey everyone,

It's been around 3 months that I have been designing infographic. My experience says that infographics help more in getting the content consumed and get more eyeballs. A few days back, I posted an infographic about Analytics optimization on our company blog, and i got 60 retweets in no time. I also got a retweet from Brian Clifton (a well known Analytics Guru). It's a first time that I've got such a response for any of my content. 

24 Nov 2011 - 8:22pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Enz

Sharing participant videos with client and data protection

Hi All

I’m in a little bit of a dilemma, I’ve just been asked to handover to a Client the video capture of participants in a user study (initial agreement was a report of findings & recommendations).  I now want a written statement from the client to say they will keep the participants data safe etc. and will only share the data with those involved in the project (as was promised in original informed consent forms given to participants).