Discussion Archive: September 2011

20 Sep 2011 - 12:04pm
Michael Stiso

forms for observational research?

Hi, all. I'm going to be observing a very large-scale live simulation next week, which is something that I haven't done in many years. When I last did it, I seem to remember coming across some case studies of similar observational activities, in which the observers used standardized forms of some sort to take notes and ease data recording.

20 Sep 2011 - 8:25am
William Hudson

Early Booking Discount Until 30 September for UxFest London

Early Booking Discount Until 30 September for UxFest London

Apologies for this mid-month update, but I wanted to let you know about the early booking discount for UxFest London (1-4 November) and to provide some extra information about some of the courses.

19 Sep 2011 - 11:12pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
Austin Govella

[Local] Houston UX design studio and workshop - Tue, Oct 11

More details coming soon, but save the date. October 11, we'll be at Caroline Collective for a presentation and workshop on design critiques. We'll look at how to give them, how to receive them, and how to make grounded, objective critiques a part of your business's culture.

For more information, subscribe to the IxDA Houston local group:
* http://www.ixda.org/local/houston-experience-design

Or, check the IxDA Houston website:
* http://houstonexperiencedesign.wordpress.com/

IxDA Interactio...

Announcing Google as Lead Sponsor of Interaction 12 Conference and Founding Sponsor of the Inaugural Interaction Awards

The Interaction Design Association (IxDA) today announces that Google will be the founding sponsor of the inaugural Interaction Awards and the Diamond Sponsor of the Interaction 12 Conference in Dublin, Ireland in February 2012.

This partnership with IxDA demonstrates Google’s commitment to excellence in interaction design and their support of the global interaction design community. Their support further underscores the importance of the interaction design discipline inside of Google and demand for interaction design talent throughout the world.

“Interaction design is at the heart of Google’s mission to make sure our users have the very best experiences we can provide,” said Irene Au, Director of User Experience at Google. “Supporting these initiatives is important to Google, and we’re thrilled to be among the first companies celebrating and supporting IxDA’s international efforts.”

19 Sep 2011 - 10:03am
3 years ago
1 reply
Smaville

IxD Schools... Advice needed!

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of finding a masters program for Interactive Design and would like some opinions. I recently graduated with a BA in Psychology but want to persue a different path. I've found some masters programs that accept students from all backgrounds and would like to know what you think, as professionals, about them.

IxDA Interactio...

Interaction Awards Profiles Matt Jones

For the third profile in our series on the Interaction Awards Jury, we've talked to London-based designer Matt Jones. Matt has been designing digital products and services since 1995. Creative director for the launch of BBC News Online, he co-founded and designed Dopplr.com, a service for frequent travellers since sold to Nokia. Between 2003-2005, he worked at Nokia on areas as diverse as tangible/ physical interfaces and the human experience of play. He is now Principal at BERG, a design and invention company in London. He originally studied Architecture, has written on interaction design, amongst other things, for 10 years at magicalnihilism.com and teaches on the Design Interactions course at the Royal College of Art.

18 Sep 2011 - 6:40pm
uxjam

Call for Proposals: IA Summit 2012 in New Orleans

= On behalf of the IA Summit 2012 Team - Apologies for cross-posting =

Wow. Last month we asked you for workshop proposals, and boy did we get workshop proposals! The IAS team is still busy whittling down 101 submissions into an outstanding program of workshops, but one thing is clear: this year we’re going to rock New Orleans.

So, what else do you have to contribute to the information architecture and user experience conversation? We are now accepting proposals for sessions and posters.

16 Sep 2011 - 1:09am
3 years ago
3 replies
Ernie Stepp III

Portfolio critique for graduating Interactive Media Designer

As tough as it is to open yourself up to public mockery, I'm graciously asking for a your professional feedback on my portfolio site, http://ernies3.com

I'm graduating next Thursday and will be presenting my work during a portfolio show. I figure - you're my people, so at the end of the day the feedback I get from you will be exactly what I need to stay pointed in the right direction. 

(I'm aware of and correcting some "issues" in the UI/Fast Food Web App prototype)

Thanks all,
Ernie S. 

15 Sep 2011 - 11:16am
+1
Terms:
IxDA Board of D...

IxDA Board Retreat this weekend at Cooper

Every year the IxDA Board of Directors gathers for an intensive weekend of reflection and planning, looking at where we are as an organization and assessing where we need to be going in the year ahead.  Our Board Directors come from different parts of the world - Canada, Australia, the US, and Ireland. We otherwise operate remotely and often independently dependent upon the areas of the organization we have oversight for.

15 Sep 2011 - 10:48am
Terms:
dgelman

[Announcement] New Rosenfeld Media book-in-progress: Design for Kids

I'm so excited to share the official announcement from Rosenfeld Media for my new book-in-progress!  Apologies for any multiple postings you may receive. - dlg

Great news: we've signed Deb Gelman to write Design For Kids: A Framework for Digital Experiences (due out in 2012).