Discussion Archive: July 2011

11 Jul 2011 - 3:33pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Bill Bernstein

Mysterious time zone issue on IxDA.org?

I'm writing to advise all members to hop over to their user profile on IxDA.org, click 'Edit', and scroll all the way down to 'Locale Settings' to verify that their time zone is set correctly.

If you haven't disturbed that part of your profile, there is a chance the time zone is mysteriously set to something that it shouldn't be. Several IxDA Pittsburgh members had this curious issue (it was set to Chicago), and it causes upcoming events to be shown with the wrong time of day, from your perspective.

11 Jul 2011 - 10:59am
3 years ago
2 replies
aronoff

Time (In Seconds) of page load, pdf load, etc.?

Hi Everyone,

Is there a tried and true time (in seconds) of proper page load, link opening (say, opening and loading a pdf.) etc. that is the industry average? I realize that theres instances that are the exception. I'm trying to find a specific example that i can use as a UX benchmark to give to testers as a best practice.

Thank you all!
~Josh

P.S. If you could cite references that would be awesome. Cool

11 Jul 2011 - 10:14am
3 years ago
6 replies
Ben Woods

Dark backgrounds on mobile devices

Just curious, but does anybody know of any valid reason that dark backgrounds would be preferable to light backgrounds on mobile devices? I've seen passionate  arguments for both, and I am in the process of researching this for myself.
Thanks,
Ben Woods

11 Jul 2011 - 7:54am
3 years ago
2 replies
Sean Pook

IxDA Complaint

Sorry to post this on here but after a month of trying through the standard contact channel, I've yet to have a response.

Can someone 'in charge' at IxDA please get in touch? Thank you.

sean@ic-creative.co.uk

11 Jul 2011 - 1:19am
hnarsana

The massive potential of Google+

My blog post on the massive potential advantages of Google+: http://bit.ly/googlepluspotential

Please do leave comments and discuss.

Thanks,
Hemanshu

Usability Engineer / Ph: +91-99005-92520
MS in Human Computer Interaction - GeorgiaTech '05

9 Jul 2011 - 7:58pm
3 years ago
1 reply
mavdesigner

ios UI Designer and Programmer Breakdown

I am an ios UI designer. I have recently been speaking with a programmer to develop an app. We have decided to each take a percent of sales, once the app has been released. Since I am new to this, I was wondering what percentage we should each get? Any information concerning rates with app development will help.

Thanks.

8 Jul 2011 - 5:29pm
gejoreni

Fedora Installer Rapid Ethnography

I was hoping some of you could help me out. I want to do a rapid ethnography study on potential linux (i.e., Fedora) users. I plan for this to be extremely informal, where the the user can stop and talk at any time.

Three main tasks

1. Interview: This will include questions to develop a persona, demographics, lunix usage, computer type etc.

8 Jul 2011 - 9:17am
3 years ago
5 replies
Susan Mercer

Showing User-Entered vs. Default Values in a form

I'm working with a client that has a consumer-based application to provide energy-saving tips.  There is a long questionnaire, so the system uses a lot of intelligent defaults based on what utility and third-party information the system has access to, as well as local, regional, and national averages.  

So, at first glance, the user fills out a handful of fields and gets energy-saving tips and savings estimates.  But, the more fields that they fill out with real information, instead of the defaults, the better the estimates.

8 Jul 2011 - 6:57am
+1
3 years ago
3 replies
Maurice

Design Patterns with Lunch

Hi all,

If you are one to sit and eat lunch at your desk, or just like to browse around (aka research) at work, or simply just love what you do. Then, here is a list of helpful links of Design Patterns.

7 Jul 2011 - 7:13pm
3 years ago
8 replies
gejoreni

Perception and sensation in HCI

Can anyone recommend any good books or publications on this subject?