Discussion Archive: July 2011

31 Jul 2011 - 6:29pm
10 weeks ago
21 replies
eriklevitch

Poll: Are you still writing UX specs?

Are you? If so, do you feel it is necessary?

31 Jul 2011 - 3:48pm
Jan Jursa

[IxDA] It's a long way to the top ...

... if you wanna rock and roll.
Dear friends and colleagues, here is a little preview of our new upcoming conference this November (18) in Berlin ... http://bit.ly/q9UJyj (G+)

ThanxJan--http://about.me/jan.jursa

28 Jul 2011 - 10:37am
3 years ago
2 replies
Mjmc_coy

What is the best Date Entry/Selection Widget You've Ever Seen? What Makes it the best? Same question for Time Entry/Selection.

I'm putting together a design standard for the best possible widgets for date and time entry/selection. Anyone have examples that fit all or at least some of these requirements? I understanding that this is contextual and there is no one size fits all):

1. Supports multiple input methods – mouse (click and scroll), keyboard (explicit values as well as arrows, tabs, spacebar, enter) when the platform allows it.

27 Jul 2011 - 9:00am
3 years ago
2 replies
Maurice

Photoshop fonts vs. browser fonts

Hi all,

This has been a debate for years.
"How can I replicate browser looking fonts in Photoshop? It always looks blurry."

Well. This is still a problem, particularly with Windows.
The text in Photoshop is not the text on the web. ... Also, type in Photoshop never seems to be the right size as type in HTML. It just never seems to feel the same. It doesn’t wrap the same, it doesn’t space out the same.
It is the ClearType smoothing from Windows.

26 Jul 2011 - 12:50pm
1 year ago
3 replies
Mitchell Joe

iPhone Visio stencil that prints to actual size

Hello IxDA-ers,

Does anyone know of an iPhone Visio stencil that prints to actual size?

Thanks,

Mitch

25 Jul 2011 - 4:47pm
2 years ago
12 replies
Terms:
usabilitycounts

UX Drinking Game -- www.uxdrinkinggame.com

Slight self promotion, but thought it would be appropriate.

http://www.uxdrinkinggame.com

Patrick

25 Jul 2011 - 3:20pm
2 years ago
1 reply
Yohan Creemers

[Event] Design by Fire 2011

IxDA Nederland is happy to announce Design by Fire 2011, the fifth edition of this annual interaction design conference — with a preceding day of workshops.

Workshops - Thursday, 13 October 2011

The maximum group size of 20 participants guarantees a valuable, hands-on learning experience. This year we hand-picked two full day and two half day workshops:

• This is Service Design;
  • Innovation Games;
  • Time Management for Headstrong Professionals;
  • A Practical Guide to Designing Across Devices.

25 Jul 2011 - 3:41am
2 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
Sridhar

Quality Indicator

Hi, I am currently trying to design a visualization for "Quality Indicator" (QI). The QI shall represent the quality of the data that has been loaded in to the software. I have a couple of preliminary thoughts -

1. A circle which shows a traffic light signal (red/yellow/green). This however would be a problem for the colorblind folks.

2. Signal bars - a set of 5 bars with increasing height (typically used in mobile phones to show the strength of the signal). Whether the bar is filled with a color depends on the quality of the input data.

23 Jul 2011 - 5:37am
2 years ago
13 replies
Queen Catherine

I wish I was Apple

HOLY MOTHER OF CRAP!

Apple changes the rules again - they've literally reversed the scroll!!!

My internal jury is still out... 

While it's feeling so deeply wrong to change such rules, it actually feels somewhat right (if you forget the paradigm)