Discussion Archive: April 2011

18 Apr 2011 - 2:58pm
mickoner

Touchscreen Hardware

We're embarking on project that requires touchscreen / kiosk-style presentation. We confident that we don't need multi-touch features, but we need a display that would be good outside during the summer months, i.e., good at glare reduction.

Does anyone have any field experience with contemporary hardware / screen offerings?

::mick

Michael Rejniak | Engagement Director | Hooky Interactive

18 Apr 2011 - 12:28pm
jonesabi

[EVENT] Mental Models with Indi Young

BayCHI and IxDA of Silicon Valley invite you to join us Wednesday for an evening on Mental Model Diagrams: Sparking Creativity Through Empathy. In this presentation, Indi Young, author of Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior discusses how to make sure this model truly represents the root of what is driving your users' natural behavior.

What: Mental Model Diagrams: Sparking Creativity Through Empathy

18 Apr 2011 - 12:14pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Jef Lippiatt

Metrics or Experience related to making Tealeaf play nice with jQuery?

I am looking for some insight or information on how to make jQuery work within the framework of Tealeaf.

I know that jQuery is a widely adopted javascript library and that many large companies use Tealeaf to track metrics. There has been some concern raised that jQuery scripts will break the Tealeaf tracking from the back end and that we will lose start to end transactions for tracking: drop offs, click rates, etc.

18 Apr 2011 - 12:05pm
Cwodtke

Recommendations for small IxD/IA firms in Bay area

Apologies for the cross post
I'm looking for small excellent design firms that specialize in IA/IxD. I've been out of the scene for awhile, and wondering who is good, who is interesting,etc. 1-10 people (the big agency thing doesn't suit me) preferred. Game and/or social in the portfolio bestest. 

18 Apr 2011 - 5:59am
DrWex

Teaching first-year HCI students about mobile UI

I'm looking for materials I could incorporate into a first-year grad course. The course is a broad survey intended to appeal to all CS students, not necessarily people who are focusing on UX for their graduate degree. I would like to add in a unit that gives some basic introduction to creating interfaces for mobile devices (particularly phones). Ideally this would cover things like basic gestural interaction, as well as some of the technical things behind creating such UIs.

Suggestions?

17 Apr 2011 - 12:56am
+1
3 years ago
5 replies
Darren Ellis

Tools for building a pattern library

What tool(s) did you use to set up your UI pattern library?

I know this question has been asked before*, but after repeated searches I'm not finding much of an answer. Seems there aren't any simple ways of doing this.

I'm currently using a mix of documents in collaboration with custom built (aka one-off) web-based solutions, but these aren't optimal for several reasons:

16 Apr 2011 - 6:00pm
3 years ago
1 reply
MJ Broadbent

AIGA's One Day for Design "Conversation"

This past Wednesday, April 13, 2011, the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) -- a professional membership organization founded in 1914 -- held an ambitious online event entitled One Day for Design. It was ositioned as "an open, global dialogue on the meaning and future of design, and on the meaning and future of professional associations in our field." While it took place primarily on Twitter, participation was also available on the project website.

15 Apr 2011 - 2:19pm
Cwodtke

Looking for small design firms specializing in interaction design and IA in Bay area/ Silicon valley

How do you think are the best? I prefer under 10 people, and game/social experience nice but not utterly required. 

15 Apr 2011 - 12:39pm
3 years ago
8 replies
Terms:
Michelle Bacigalupi

PRD / FRD Templates

I know our group is focused on UX practices but I suspect most of us have encountered, and are expected to leverage, these kinds of documents usually created by Product Management. While many organizations, including mine, have moved towards more light weight (sometimes Agile-like, sometimes Agile) processes there is still the need to have sufficiently defined requriements for us to do our work well. Shifting / changing / vague requirements waste time, resources, and money. My current organization seems to struggle with what kind of information to provide us on UX team.