Discussion Archive: March 2011

dave@davepotts.info

Usability Talk on April 11th: From Search to Discovery

Cambridge Usability Group is pleased to announce a free talk on April 11th (6.30pm)

Tony Russell-Rose: From Search to Discovery
Search user experience has come a long way from just a simple text input field. Faceted search interfaces have become standard on most e-commerce websites and search results help guide users to related and featured content. But how and why have search interfaces evolved so much in recent years?

29 Mar 2011 - 1:06pm
kwong

Best practice in treating tags on your page

Hi,

I am designing a UI to include tagging for individual contents (contents may include image, audio, video, discussions). Does anyone know of any best practices in treating tags? Each item could potentially have as much as 30 tags. The categories are pretty limited.

Thanks,

Kate

29 Mar 2011 - 1:03pm
mck

University of Baltimore IDIA Program

AS a recent graduate from a 4 year college (and a huge dork), I started looking at graduate programs in Interaction Design. I was accepted into the University of Baltimore IDIA masters program for the fall of this year. I have very little experience with IXD but it is a field I could see myself in for a long time. 

I have a couple questions that I am hoping someone can answer. I know there are already posts on these topics but I am hoping for some more specific answers- 

29 Mar 2011 - 11:40am
IxDA Board of D...

Open call to be the Interaction|13 Chair

The IxDA Board of Directors is pleased to put out our first open call for Chair of the Interaction|13 conference, to be held in North America in February of 2013.  Applications of interest are due by 24 April, 2011, 11:59 PM EST.  We will let you know by 15 May, 2011.

Nominate yourself or someone else:  http://bit.ly/h4WT9v

29 Mar 2011 - 9:36am
3 years ago
2 replies
jreinberg

Locking Android App in Portrait Mode for Device with Keyboard

Hi all,

I am designing an Android app that will be locked in portrait mode.

My question is regarding Android devices with a keyboard.  If I lock the app in portrait mode, when the user slides out his or her keyboard in a landscape orientation, the app will not reorient to landscape to allow the user to type via the keyboard. 

Does it make sense to pop up the on-screen keyboard when the user tries to slide out his/her keyboard in landscape mode?  This would be to indicate that only the onscreen keyboard is available to use. 

28 Mar 2011 - 7:13pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Al Di

Design Experiments in Extreme Situtation

I'm working on a project where doing the ethnographic studies, and any other user studies are almost impossible! Or there is a chance that I might end-up in jail for years if I want to do the design experiment in the original context! (one of the middle eastern countries). I'm thinking re-creation of such a situation is impossible cause the user's experiments will be totally different in the current context that I'm in (Sweden). In this context person have no idea about how the original context could be, so doing any sort of user studies and design experiments are doomed to failure.

28 Mar 2011 - 11:08am
3 years ago
4 replies
Jenneth

language translation vs. international sites

Just wanted to get some opinions / experiences on this matter:

Our client is based in the U.S. has about 10 or so International sites in the respected domains, in addition to the .com U.S. site. On the .com site there is a fairly hefty drop down menu to change your site. Now, they also want to add a google translate bar to their U.S. site. The international sites are not mirrors of the US site, but they are specific to their world brand and events. I'm not very familiar with any international/languages best practices and was just curious on some outsider input.

Jen

27 Mar 2011 - 5:56am
marianamota

Design Jam Oxford - 14th May

We are happy to announce that Design Jam Oxford has a date and venue confirmed!

With support from Mozilla Labs and Oxford University Computing Services, Design Jam Oxford is happening on the 14th of May at the Oxford University Computing Services.

Keep up to date, let us know you are interested in coming, follow @designjamoxford

More info at http://www.designjams.org/wiki/Design_Jam_Oxford

25 Mar 2011 - 9:58pm
pabini

Silicon Valley IxDA Event :: Mental Model Diagrams: Sparking Creativity Through Empathy :: Wednesday, April 20, 2011, at Nokia Research Center in Palo Alto

Please join us for our next Silicon Valley IxDA event! Indi Young will speak about mental models.

When: Wednesday, April 20, 2011