Discussion Archive: February 2011

7 Feb 2011 - 9:25pm
3 years ago
2 replies
James Mansfield

Recruiting UT participants in San Fran

Anyone know some good participant recruitment companies in San Fran?

I'm going to be there in mid March (following SXSW) and am going to be doing some user testing while there.

We've got a participant profile which is fairly basic but we will be needing 8 users for 1.5 long sessions.

Any recommendations appreciated.

7 Feb 2011 - 4:27pm
+1
2 years ago
47 replies
Terms:
Amanda Nance

design exercises and/or portfolio review during interview

Hi all, Have any of you ever given design problems/exercises to someone interviewing for an Interaction design position? If so, how well did that work, and how did you come up with the design problems? It seems that the design problems cannot require a lot of background about the users or specialized domain knowledge since we have limited time with each candidate.

One person has suggested to me that reviewing a candidate's portfolio would be a better approach. I was thinking a combined approach might be useful. What do you think?

All ideas and experiences welcome!

-Amanda

5 Feb 2011 - 12:08pm
3 years ago
2 replies
rohitrmehta

The umbrella of User experience design

Can we say that Usability, User centered design,
Information Architecture and interaction design fall under the umbrella
of User experience design?

4 Feb 2011 - 12:41pm
3 years ago
2 replies
jet

informal cmu clan at interaction '11?

Farkas and I are making noises about a clan meetup, drop me email or message him on twitter if you're interested. It might be as simple as drinks one night or actually going out to dinner depending on how many people are around.

3 Feb 2011 - 7:25pm
kleydon

Summer Internship, Disney Animation Studios 2011

If you have both technical and artistic talent, and want to make animation software a pleasure to use, Walt Disney Animation Studios is looking for top-notch student talent to join our interaction design team for our Summer 2011 internship program.

We aim to partner with a qualified intern interested in the following areas:

3 Feb 2011 - 4:59pm
2 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
leannemwagner

Interaction Design Conferences

Hello - I'm an interactive designer interested in attending an interaction design conference this year. Aside from the IxDA Interaction Eleven does anynone have suggestions of good conferences they have been to? Thanks -L

3 Feb 2011 - 1:42pm
jason zietz

Are you coming to Interaction '11 and want to give a talk on campus?

Hello again from (not-so-cold-anymore) Boulder!  I know this is late notice but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone was interested.  The research group that I'm part of, The Center for Lifelong Learning and Design (L3D) at CU generally has its meetings every Wednesday from 11:30-1.  We don't have anything scheduled for next Wednesday, but if you're going to be in town for Interaction '11 and would like to give a talk to students, researchers, faculty, and professors, let me know!

2 Feb 2011 - 4:24pm
3 years ago
7 replies
davidicus

Best Practices: Play, Pause, Stop etc.

Howdy--

I'm having trouble finding discussions about transport controls. how do people feel about Play changing to Pause or Stop instead of using separate buttons?

• Do Pause and Stop have universally understood meanings?
  • What is the difference between them?
  • What do people prefer regarding Rewind and Fast Forward -- when should they jump to the next unit, marker, or section instead of shuttling?

1 Feb 2011 - 4:52pm
3 years ago
8 replies
Thomas Schluchter
1 Feb 2011 - 4:45pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Louis Rosenfeld