Discussion Archive: February 2011

16 Feb 2011 - 10:05am
3 years ago
13 replies
Margaret Schultz

Fastco Design article: more hating on UCD

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663220/user-led-innovation-cant-create-breakthroughs-just-ask-apple-and-ikea?partner=co_newsletter

Yet another article on why "we don't need no stinking user centered design" ~ Anyone seen this one? Thoughts?

It seems to me to be just a rehashing of some of the others, citing Apple as one of the examples.

16 Feb 2011 - 9:09am
+1
3 years ago
2 replies
Dave Malouf

Apprenticeship conversation at IxD11 ... Your stories

During Interaction 11 in Boulder a very small group of us got together to talk about apprenticeships as an overall concept. Elena Moon, Jason Mesut and myself got together over lunch and discussed our very different point of views and we decided that it would be great to expand the conversation amongst our peers here in the community.

15 Feb 2011 - 12:25am
3 years ago
8 replies
savvy

Need advice on upcoming interview: presenting my projects that didn't include much UX work

Hi- I'm relatively new to the UX world. I've done some UX work in my current job (but not nearly enough - long story- I have a UX title, but haven't been given the opp to do much at all) and have landed an interview for a UX Design position in several days (mix of interaction and visual design).

Techmatchmaker

"The Inmates are Still Running the Asylum" - UX Networking Event March 10th @ Jobspring Silicon Valley

Come join Jobspring Partners Silicon Valley, and their guest speaker, UX guru Colin Johnson, for the first ever Jobspring Partners Silicon Valley networking event!

www.jspsvinauguralevent.eventbrite.com

Issa

Post-Doctoral Survey

I am conducting research to assess my new methodology for website design "Participative Methodology for Marketing Websites". This Methodology was developed during my PhD research. Your assistance in this research would be greatly appreciated and would assist in the success of its findings. My Post-Doctoral Survey will take up to 25 minutes to complete.

To complete the survey please click on http://curtinbusiness.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_00Ld8CYpppPbQHy

14 Feb 2011 - 2:34am
3 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
IxDA Board of D...

Many thanks to our Interaction 11 team, sponsors and attendees

As I prepared to leave Boulder this morning, I was struck by the enormity of what I had just experienced, and humbled by the energy, efforts, and spirit of individuals and organizations that brought it all to life. We're not just talking about the efforts seen over the past week; this is effort that spans the last 18 to 24 months.

To the conference chairs, Jon Kolko and MJ Broadbent, we thank you for your vision and for creating and leading such an amazing conference team that brought it to life.

13 Feb 2011 - 11:17pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Roy Zornow

Interview Questions - Questions to ask a Company

Let's flip this question: what sort of questions would you ask of a company where you are interviewing as a Sr. UX or Director?  I would want to know about resource allocation methods, whether a Strategy department exists, whether there is a hierarchy amongst departments, and what the UX role is in a typical project life-cycle.

It seems harder to ask about intangbles, like team-building and work-life balance.

13 Feb 2011 - 7:03pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Jennifer Quigley

What are your deal makers & breakers in hiring, and how to induct people into a design team?

I see the topic "design exercises and/or portfolio review during interview" (http://www.ixda.org/node/29463) has gained 45 comments this week. Since both hiring and how we are hired holds value to all of us, I think it would be nice to discuss what are the deal makers and the deal brakers for hiring, as well as what methods of etiquette are optimal for adding new participants to the team whether it be on a junior, similar, or managerial level.

12 Feb 2011 - 7:27pm
2 years ago
5 replies
spicegirl

Can anybody recommend interaction design/information design school in Munich Germany

I am going back to school after about 13 years working in professional field. Can anybody recommend information design school in Munich, Germany? 

Spicegirl

11 Feb 2011 - 1:25pm
3 years ago
3 replies
UXcited

Next Generation Help

I have the opportunity to fundamentally change the way Help is done in the next generation versions of my enterprise applications. The current Help systems use old school CHM or HTML Help formats. Tree on the left, content on the right. Etc.

Have any of you fine folks stepped beyond this old style of help? Have you done something extraordinary?

I would love to hear about it.

I would love to hear your ideas!

Thank you so much.