Discussion Archive: January 2011

5 Jan 2011 - 11:42am
+1
Konrad

Smart-phones: Portrait vs Horizontal orientation

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has done or is aware of any research on the use of smart-phones in portrait vs landscape orientation?

Let's take a theory, that since portrait orientation is a natural "phone" orientation, anyone who changes to landscape switches to a non-phone use mode.

If someone is using an app, switching orientation would be a proof of an increased engagement and a form of commitment to use the device as a platform for the app, not a phone.

5 Jan 2011 - 4:17am
William Hudson
4 Jan 2011 - 9:11am
Erin Lynn Young

[EVENT] IxDA Austin // Tuesday, Jan 18 // Using Online Communities to Harvest Ideas, Decrease Support Costs and Kick-Start Loyalty

National Instruments has won awards for the way it has built user feedback into the development process for its flagship product.

3 Jan 2011 - 3:21pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Eva Miller

Innies: field study safety

I'm looking for strategies to quiet legal nerves about doing design research in people's homes or cars (contextual inquiry, field studies, etc). Their main worry is safety: is someone going to go nuts and hurt you if you visit their home? And then what?

1 Jan 2011 - 3:13pm
3 years ago
1 reply
interactive fiction

Any thoughts on Storytron the interactive storytelling engine?

The other day I came across Storytron by Chris Crawford a games industry legend. I was eager to check it out because I'm currently reading "The Art of Interactive Design", which he wrote. Unfortunately, I have mixed feelings about it, and was wondering if anyone from the community had any experience with it as well so we could compare notes.