Discussion Archive: November 2010

9 Nov 2010 - 2:08pm
4 years ago
9 replies
tdellaringa

Looking for good examples of RIA wireframe documentation

Good Afternoon,

I've been working on a RIA for some time. I've essentially built medium-fidelity wireframes, then put them together in InDesign with callouts and some basic information. I have to say I'm pretty unhappy with how they look and inform. I think the problem is I'm not happy with how they lay out, and I'm not sure I'm giving the right level of information.

Right now the pages are landscape, legal sized. The way I have them laid out, it just doesn't flow very well, but the screens need to be big enough to see.

9 Nov 2010 - 11:57am
+1
jonesabi

Reminder: BayCHI November Program Tonight in Palo Alto, CA

What: IxD in the Field and Lessons Learned from Social Software

When: Tonight, November 9th at 7:00pm

Where: PARC's George E. Pake Auditorium, 3333 Coyote Drive, Palo Alto, CA

9 Nov 2010 - 10:56am
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Looking for IXD blog recommendations

On Nov 9, 2010, at 8:16 AM, lrileygraham@gmail.com wrote:

> I read about Device Design Day at Kicker this year and it has been rather inspiring to myself and team members.

If you haven't seen them, all the Device Design Day videos are now online and can be found at:

http://kickerstudio.com/d3/2010/

Dan

9 Nov 2010 - 9:25am
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] What makes an application feel fast?

On Nov 9, 2010, at 3:35 AM, Simon Raess wrote:

> "For years, software engineers have been told that applications must respond to user events within 100 milliseconds to seem instantaneous, yet this assumption has never been systematically tested. In this research, we attempt to establish thresholds of detection for changes in a graphical user interface using adaptive tracking. For keyboard interactions, subjects did not notice delays of approximately 150 milliseconds. In contrast, for mouse interactions, subjects did not notice delays of up to 195 milliseconds.

9 Nov 2010 - 7:33am
+1
yekula

Online/Distance Phd program

Hi,

does any of the Universities offer Online/distance Phd program in HCI

9 Nov 2010 - 12:20am
Prof. AProfeta

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] What makes designers frustrated?

Bill, Those are some real gems! But I might have you beat... Years ago I attended a Macromedia conference on the new accessibility features in Dreamweaver, 2001 I think, so that was DW4. Anyway, upon explaining the value that DW4 accessibility checker and other features would bring to our client projects (of which 80 percent where government and edu).

I had my Art Director/ boss at the time tell me "Why don't you stop with the 508 and ADA compliance crap.

Nate Phelps

UX/UI professionals in Sydney

We're interested in building our talent database of user experience and interaction experts here at Fairfax Digital in Sydney. We have regular opportunities for talented individuals on both a permanent and contract basis in the fields of user experience and IA, as well as user interface design/development and web & multimedia design.

If you're based in Sydney, Australia and interested in learning more about our business, I'd love to hear from you.

8 Nov 2010 - 2:21pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Looking for IXD blog recommendations

On Nov 8, 2010, at 10:14 AM, lrileygraham@gmail.com wrote:

> What some current, great, IXD blogs?

Every year in December, Kicker puts together the best design blogs of the year. The 2010 hasn't come out yet, but here's the 2009 choices, all of which are still going strong:

http://www.kickerstudio.com/blog/2009/12/the-best-design-blogs-of-2009/

Dan

8 Nov 2010 - 2:06pm
Josh Damon Williams

Interview with Interaction11 keynote speaker Erik Hersman

Hello,

Interaction11 media partner Johnny Holland posted an interview today with Ushahidi founder Erik Hersman, one of our conference keynote speakers. JH talked with Erik about his hopes and dreams for crowdsourcing, and the role interaction designers can play in fulfilling that dream. Erik also gave a brief preview of some of the topics he’ll address at Interaction11: