Discussion Archive: November 2010

8 Nov 2010 - 1:06pm
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] What makes designers frustrated?

Oh man, these are funny.

> These are real Quotes that were spoken to me. > > "I dont know what SEO is, but we should not care what Goolge's users think about us." > > "What do you mean by "Social Media. I never heard of Facebook and If I never heard about it we should not care about it" > > " it is un-professional that you suggest we create a mobile app strategy or pursue such a bad idea. I don't see people ever using mobile phones except to make a phone call." > > "Right before the user checks out we should make them click on a few ads before they can finish paying."

8 Nov 2010 - 11:35am
lrileygraham

Looking for IXD blog recommendations

Hi all,

I am a professional in the field looking for current, up-to-date, interaction design blog recommendations. I am an avid reader of ixd  and user experience research, but some of the blogs in our field are out of date.

What some current, great, IXD blogs?

Current IXD health care focused blogs?

Lastly, many of my fellow IXDAer's get valuable user experience information from other types of technology blogs written with a user focused perspective. Know of anything like this?

Thanks everyone!

8 Nov 2010 - 11:31am
3 years ago
4 replies
Rob Nero

IxD '11 Admission?

I am interested in buying someone's registration for IxD '11. I am willing to pay extra for the trouble too.

If anyone is unable to make it, and has already bought a registration, I am interested in buying yours!!

thanks!

8 Nov 2010 - 4:00am
William Hudson
8 Nov 2010 - 12:47am
4 years ago
1 reply
DerrekRobertson

a freelance ID's dilemma

Fellow Designers, can we talk creative business career strategy?

Last week, a Bay Area ad agency hired me to "simplify the UI" of a project under the title Senior Interactive Designer. I expected two to three weeks of freelance work, but I didn't see day three. My conundrum concerns leadership.

I get the job and join a team that doesn't trust each other.

7 Nov 2010 - 2:31pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Jan Jursa

[IxDA] Free eBook "UX Storytellers" / User Experience and Storytelling

Dear list,

after many, many months of hard work, we finally made it. The free eBook is out: "UX Storytellers - Connecting the Dots."
User Experience and Storytelling. Find out more about it at http://bit.ly/UXBook

In this free eBook, ‘UX Storytellers - Connecting the Dots’, 42 UX masterminds tell personal stories of their exciting lives as User Experience professionals.

7 Nov 2010 - 1:59am
4 years ago
8 replies
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] What makes designers frustrated?

how about when people downplay the visual designer's role and say they just "pretty things up"

On Nov 6, 2010, at 5:11 PM, obeyux wrote:

> What makes you so frustrated? > Bad compensation? Copycat? no promotion? Super fast trends? Softwares? Please share your experiences.

6 Nov 2010 - 7:23pm
+1
4 years ago
1 reply
Neil Lee

Re: [IxDA] What makes an application feel fast?

On 2010-11-06, at 13:39, Simon Raess wrote: > I'm looking for any resources available on (perceived) user interface responsiveness. Any methods, studies, measures, factors, thoughts and comments are very welcome!

UX designers at Mozilla did a lot of research on this very thing with Firefox.

6 Nov 2010 - 3:15pm
4 years ago
2 replies
malahat2

Any experiences and insights on CARD or CUTA method?

Hi ,

I recently used CARD method with soem modifications to help end-users of an application project their future workflow for a system that was being re-designed and articluate the requirements about the system within the context of the scenarios that were generated .

6 Nov 2010 - 2:34pm
+1
4 years ago
1 reply
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] What makes an application feel fast?

From Jakob Nielsen, 1993:

"The basic advice regarding response times has been about the same for thirty years [Miller 1968]:

0.1 second is about the limit for having the user feel that the system is reacting instantaneously, meaning that no special feedback is necessary except to display the result.

1.0 second is about the limit for the user's flow of thought to stay uninterrupted, even though the user will notice the delay.