Discussion Archive: September 2010

23 Sep 2010 - 1:25pm
justju

Anticipation of technological and social trends

Hi all,

while being a frequent reader of IxDA emails this is the first topic I'd like to discuss in this list. Just a few words about myself: I am a german postgrad student currently attending a 2-year Master course in Interaction Design in Germany. With a background in Urban Planning / Urban Design I am driving myself into fields of interactive products which I find both challenging and exciting.

During the last weeks I have thought a lot about the question of what it actually needs to anticipate trends in technology and society.

23 Sep 2010 - 12:51pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Michele Marut

is there an official difference between a grid and a table pattern?

All,

This morning my team reviewed this very nice article about free project management apps - http://www.smashingapps.com/2010/09/22/awesome-yet-free-web-apps-to-make-project-managers-lives-easier.html .

When we got down to "Project Bubble", an interaction designer stated that this was a very good use of a grid. When I asked how that differed from the ones above he said becuase it had headers.

23 Sep 2010 - 11:42am
marekp

[Event] MEX: 6 pathways to the mobile UX horizon

The next MEX is in London on 30 Nov - 01 Dec.

I'd love to hear your feedback on the 6 Pathways, or from those who want to get involved as speakers, participants or sponsors. We also have some scholarship places available for students & start-ups.

The new MEX is based around 6 Pathways. These are ongoing initiatives designed to create fresh knowledge for the community, spanning pre-event blog posts, our Twitter feed, the 2 day event itself and a post-event report.

6 MEX Pathways:

23 Sep 2010 - 11:26am
bitpakkit

Re: [IxDA] URGENT Openings with Design4User.com, Delhi

The hilarious thing is that site has Lorem Ipsum text on its solution page...

> Design4User.com

Geez.

23 Sep 2010 - 10:13am
4 years ago
3 replies
TerraceMedia

RE: [IxDA] URGENT Openings with Design4User.com, Delhi

Amen, esp. about the bloviating pseudo-academics.

-----Original Message----- From: ixdaor@host.ixda.org [mailto:ixdaor@host.ixda.org] On Behalf Of jalton Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:37 AM To: sully@terracemediagroup.com Subject: Re: [IxDA] URGENT Openings with Design4User.com, Delhi

Seriously? Urgent? The list has devolved into job ads and vitriolic
pseudo-academic pontifications. Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

23 Sep 2010 - 8:45am
jalton

Re: [IxDA] Depicting Your Personas

THIS type on information sharing keeps me subscribed! Thank you!

Maybe we should (prepare for contentious word and thought - deep breath everyone :) ...) segregate the list into a student / newbie list and a professional list?

------Original Message------ From: =?UTF-8?B?Sm9uYXMgTMO2d2dyZW4gPGpvbmFzLmxvd2dyZW5AbWFoLnNlPg==?=@host.ixda.org Sender: ixdaor@host.ixda.org To: John S.

23 Sep 2010 - 5:03am
4 years ago
2 replies
Design4User
23 Sep 2010 - 3:28am
Janne Kaasalainen

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Simplicity is Not Overrated, Just Misunderstood

Hi Richard,

There are likely to have multiple factors affecting this to some extent, raging from cultural biases to items in question and general knowledge base of the customers.

23 Sep 2010 - 12:50am
1 year ago
1 reply
neha

Visual Design internship in India

Hi fellow IXDians,
We at Techved Design (Mumbai, India) are looking for Visual Design interns to join our team. The internship period can vary from 2 months - 6 months.So if you are looking to do some great work and get exposed to the Industry, you can apply. You will get to work with a great team and do exciting projects.  What more - We will also provide accommodation in Mumbai!!

22 Sep 2010 - 1:57pm
Los Angeles IxDA

Re: [IxDA] Depicting Your Personas

If you use a photo of a person you know, characteristics of that person seep into the persona in ways that they shouldn't. This is also why I don't use a photo of a real interviewee (though I do take pictures to help me remember each person I talk to). If a real interviewee's picture gets used, the persona tends to be overshadowed by the characteristics of that one interviewee rather than being a composite archetype that represents the needs and goals of many users.