Discussion Archive: August 2010

20 Aug 2010 - 10:14pm
+2
4 years ago
1 reply
bminihan

Designers are solvers...or cat burglars.

From my blog...dunno if this connects with anyone, and if not, I must be crazy...

...I Think I Know How Cat Burglars Feel...

20 Aug 2010 - 8:29pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Jared M. Spool

Re: [IxDA] SXSW Panel: Digital Ethnography for Design Innovation

On Aug 20, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Paul Bryan wrote:

> Please consider voting for my proposed session at SXSW 2011
> entitled: "Digital Ethnography for Design Innovation."

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I voted for it.

Jared

20 Aug 2010 - 2:59pm
Christopher Rider

[Event] IxDA Los Angeles / Interactive Design for Mass Transit

Metro and IxDA Los Angeles present: Interactive Design for Mass Transit

August 26, 2010 - 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Metro Headquarters
One Gateway Plaza, 3rd Floor
Los Angeles, CA
United States

Join Lan-Chi Lam, Interactive Design & Strategy Manager for Metro Communications, to discuss how Metro is turning to the digital arena to improve public transportation in Los Angeles. 

20 Aug 2010 - 12:49pm
jason zietz

[EVENT] IxDA Denver/Boulder Colorado - Screening of 'Objectified'

Next week we'll be screening the film Objectified, described as "a feature-length documentary about our complex relationship with manufactured objects and, by extension, the people who design them".  Our friends at Wall Street on Demand will be hosting the screening.  More details can be found here:

http://www.meetup.com/IxDA-Colorado-Interaction-Design/calendar/14381976/
Hope to see you there!

20 Aug 2010 - 11:55am
4 years ago
2 replies
Paul Bryan
20 Aug 2010 - 11:42am
4 years ago
1 reply
gabefriedman

Like Yahoo Answers. but paid and accurate?

I work for a startup catering to real estate brokers. Our market research typically involves calling several of them and asking questions. Not great.

What I'm looking for is an online "answer marketplace" where:
- "answerers" have been screened for professionalism, occupation, demographic info, etc...
- "askers" set parameters on who can answer, # of answers, price per answer etc...

I've found sites on which an "expert" will answer your specific question, but in this case i'm looking for some crowd source aspect - I want many replies to a a few questions.

20 Aug 2010 - 10:44am
headsetgroup

Re: [IxDA] Required Items in Shopping Cart

We built a library function for a client that had similar issues. We've had a great deal of success with Javascript drop-down arrows that reveal the contents of a specific category. Once a category is opened, items can be selected to populate a CMS [or a shopping cart]

Hope this helps.

///P

20 Aug 2010 - 10:03am
+1
4 years ago
1 reply
Brian Mila

RE: [IxDA] Dashboards! - The Best of the Best

Here is a resource I peruse from time to time:

http://dashboardspy.com

Has a large collection of dashboards "in the wild".

Brian

> -----Original Message----- > From: ixdaor@host.ixda.org [mailto:ixdaor@host.ixda.org] On Behalf Of > Maurice Carty > Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:17 PM > To: Mila, Brian > Subject: [IxDA] Dashboards! - The Best of the Best > > Hi team ! > Please. As usual, this is the best place for such a question. > > Sorry for the 'admirable and receptive' title! : ) > > That said!

20 Aug 2010 - 9:38am
smitty777

Required Items in Shopping Cart

Hi all,

I have a problem that need some help.  I have a design where items selected from a middle panel and moved to a "shopping cart" on the right.  There are categories that must be selected from in the middle panel that are required, and the categories are marked as "Make a selection" in the shopping cart.   OK - that's the easy part.

The problem is the dependencies in the required items.  So it might be a list like this:

20 Aug 2010 - 12:42am
4 years ago
10 replies
AliceDavey

Is there a formal UCD process?

Hi all,

I'm setting up a vertical discipline of UCD in the company I work for. It needs to integrate with the formal processes of Project Management and Software Development, which seem to have several industry-wide standard methodologies to choose from. These methodologies can be studied and you can get qualifications in them, when they are adopted they are similar in many companies.

As far as I know, there isn't any similar formalised 'qualifiable' process for UCD, but if there is, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks, Alice.