Discussion Archive: August 2010

11 Aug 2010 - 3:48pm
4 years ago
3 replies
alexislloyd

"Tuning" content in a stream

I'm designing a stream/list of content that I want to allow the user to "tune" through a series of parameters: some might be boolean (toggle), some might be a place on a continuum (slider). Has anyone seen a good example of a stream or list view where the amount or type of content in the stream can be altered using something other than the obvious dropdown menu or tab options?

Thanks,

Alexis

11 Aug 2010 - 12:49pm
4 years ago
5 replies
bojcampbell

Usability Testing Vs. Solicited User Feedback for Web Sites/Apps

The topic of soliciting mass user feedback regarding the usability of web sites and applications continues to pop up for me. Primary stakeholders ask the question, "Why don't we just send a link to a survey in our newsletter to all our registered users?" or, "Let's add a feedback link or a thumbs up/down clicker to our new beta releases."

11 Aug 2010 - 9:17am
Arun Martin

[IxDA] [EVENT] Bangalore - HCI research methods - August 28

The STC India User Research and Usability SIG is pleased to announce three sessions on Saturday, August 28, 2010, at Misys Software Solutions (India) Private Limited, Embassy Golf Links Business Park, Off Intermediate Ring Road, Bangalore. 
1) HCI research methods by Sanjay Tripathi, ABB2) Usability heuristics for documentation by Anupama Gummaraju3) Web analytics in technical documentation by Jigesh T.V, Cisco

Agenda

10 Aug 2010 - 2:13pm
+1
splendidnoise

[COMMERCIAL] Acquia seeks designers to participate in usability test of beta product

Your experience matches what we're looking for to do some usability testing and we'd like to request 60 minutes of your time to review a product being developed by Acquia.  We'll do this online at your convenience.  We will be testing throughout August and September.  Another way to participate is to follow us on Twitter @drupalsgardens. We send a broadcast tweet when we are testing and you can jump in when you're free.

10 Aug 2010 - 6:29am
John Ferrara

Designing a persuasive video game

For those interested in exploring how interaction designers can make use of game design, I have a new article up on UX magazine about a game we developed to teach children healthier eating habits: http://is.gd/e30Rz

9 Aug 2010 - 9:12pm
4 years ago
3 replies
pdx_guy

Looking for Design Principles and/or Creative Directors:

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

I've gone back to school recently (still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up) and have been greatly encouraged to pursue a design related field.

Being the insatiably curious individual that I am I have decided to thoroughly investigate the various fields of design in an effort to better understand not just the fields themselves, but the associated career paths.

9 Aug 2010 - 3:21pm
3 years ago
3 replies
carl myhill

ethics, training and HFI

(Apologies if you have seen this email elsewhere, I am interested in your views)
Hi All,
I have a question for you all on ethics. I have just received a mailshot from HFI, advertising a training course in London on User Centred Analysis and Conceptual Design. Please note that I do not compete with HFI on training and have no personal grudge of any kind.

9 Aug 2010 - 8:41am
William Hudson
9 Aug 2010 - 4:12am
3 years ago
3 replies
Liou Yamane

Good introductory graphic design books for UX people

Hi,

I was wondering whether any of you can recommend good introductory books about graphic design. 

I am a UX designer/consultant and would like to know more about the principles of good graphic design. During two years I have worked  with a graphic designer at my previous workplace. Still, I would like to have a bit more background to be able to spar with graphic designesr, and possibly even do some design of my own for minor, personal projects.

8 Aug 2010 - 7:46pm
Douglas Brashear

Re: [IxDA] Another Rant - Expectations and Roles - Designers vs. Developers vs. Recruiters...blah, blah, blah

Great points! My pet peeve with interviewers is when they think "Information Architecture" started with the O' Reilly book, and that my claims of 14 years of experience are impossible...I politely assert that requirements analysis, interface design and usability engineering were all accepted disciplines and, in some places, already working together before anyone tried to attach a new term to it.

• Doug

Sent from my phone