Discussion Archive: August 2010

12 Aug 2010 - 3:04pm
3 years ago
7 replies
Terms:
Scott Noblit

Font sizers

I've been looking at redesigning some asset level pages (articles, etc) lately. Currently on these articles we have a font size option (small, medium and large). Unfortunately it isn't something I can get any metrics on (nor done any testing) and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the usage of these. 

It seemed like a lot of sites were including these kinds of controls a few years ago, but I'm noticing a lot of new sites (or redesigned sites) left this functionality off. Have people found that this kind of functionality is little used?

12 Aug 2010 - 10:45am
+1
3 years ago
7 replies
Abhay Rautela

A huge list of Style Guides and UI Guidelines

For those looking for style guide and UI guideline document references, you shuold find this list of style guides and UI Guidelines I have posted at The UX Bookmark handy. Feel free to suggest additions to the list.

URL: A huge list of Style Guides and UI Guidelines

-Abhay

12 Aug 2010 - 10:07am
Terms:
Amy Grandov

Web metrics experts and resources?

I was hoping to get pointers to helpful experts and resources on web metrics analysis, as well as most admired companies who are users/consumers of web metrics. 

12 Aug 2010 - 9:22am
3 years ago
4 replies
jacque_ernst

OPEN IDEO | social networking for designers

OPEN IDEO | social networking for designers   IDEO recently launched a new social platform for Open Innovation applied to the design. This social network is called OpenID.

12 Aug 2010 - 3:34am
hnarsana

Usability problem with Google's birthdate input feature within Contacts

So with the new google mail/contacts revamp, there is a usability issue I found when trying to put in the birthdate for my contacts.
You can read more about it at my blog: http://bit.ly/google-birthdate-input-issue
Thanks,Hemanshu

Usability Engineer / Ph: +91-96861-90892 [new]

“Don’t worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you’ll have to ram them down people’s throats.” - Howard Aiken

12 Aug 2010 - 2:45am
sudhindra

[EVENT] Bangalore - HCI research methods - August 28

The STC India User Research and Usability SIG is pleased to announce three sessions on Saturday, August 28, 2010, at Misys Software Solutions (India) Private Limited, Embassy Golf Links Business Park, Off Intermediate Ring Road, Bangalore. 
1) HCI research methods by Sanjay Tripathi, ABB
2) Usability heuristics for documentation by Anupama Gummaraju
3) Web analytics in technical documentation by Jigesh

12 Aug 2010 - 2:40am
+1
3 years ago
4 replies
impulses

iPhone or '!'Phone ?

I'm an avid iPhone user myself and I really love and appreciate the overall experience and the device itself.

But, being so successful, I feel that iPhone surprisingly has numerous undiscoverable UI features. Many of these, unless accidentally discovered, will never be known to a user. Also, many of them are not even listed under iPhone Tips & Tricks also! (I bet more than 90% of iPhone users wouldn't care to read the iPhone User Guides).

11 Aug 2010 - 8:18pm
frank gruger

Re: [IxDA] Another Rant - Expectations and Roles - Designers vs. Developers vs. Recruiters...blah, blah, blah

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Andrei Herasimchuk <andreih@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

And if you work at a place like Facebook, being a designer means you are also expected to know how to build the front-end

<excuse the lurk> That explains so much...

11 Aug 2010 - 7:50pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
Maurice

11 Aug 2010 - 4:48pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
ttaunk

Designers interviewing software developers

I am a product designer at a large software company. I have been asked to interview a developer (programmer) for a job opening in the company. Although working with developers is a big part of my everyday job, this is the first time I have been asked to interview one, and to provide my feedback on the candidate.