Discussion Archive: August 2010

30 Aug 2010 - 7:12pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Rob Tannen

I.D. 2010 Annual Design Review

While there's no longer an I.D. Magazine, the Annual Design Review is still active online, including an Interactive Design category: http://annualdesignreview.id-mag.com/category-winners/interactive/

Best of Category (Interactive) - http://www.wechoosethemoon.org/

30 Aug 2010 - 10:58am
DrWex

Trader Joe's design choices

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news/companies/inside_trader_joes_full_version.fortune/

The story is primarily about TJ's as a business, but there are some interesting and on-point comments about the user experience they have deliberately constructed. Reducing the number of choices. Full refunds on the spot no questions asked. Simplifying processes. The comment from Stew Leonard Jr.

30 Aug 2010 - 10:00am
Terms:
Ron George

Job Opening: Flash Prototyper in Manhattan/New York City (onsite)

Hello Ixda'ers.

We have an immediate need for a contract Flash Prototyper here in New York City. It will be onsite and for a minimum of 3 weeks of full-time work.

You will be building interfaces in Flash with tons of actionscript. The ability to follow direction to the letter and be quick about it. We are a fun group of senior level interaction design architects.

Pay is very competitive and no need to be a guru as long as you have a fluent understanding of the prototype process.

Email me with your portfolio of flash interfaces, ron@rongeorge.com.

30 Aug 2010 - 1:40am
3 years ago
3 replies
Allison McKeever

SharePoint vs. ??

Hi, 

I'm currently doing an audit of 3rd party tools available that have similar functionality to SharePoint i.e. secure login, calendar integration, contact lists, document libraries, version control, tasks/issues lists, etc... Does anyone have any 3rd party tools they can recommend? If so, can you give me a brief description of why you like the tool? Is it intuitive, can it integrate into the other programs you already use, is it robust yet simple? 

30 Aug 2010 - 12:19am
3 years ago
5 replies
johnk

The meaning of the word "copy"

I had a weird experience with the word "copy".  We use MS Exchange and Outlook, and all the email is stored on the server.  Outlook is the client that views the email on the server.

A user was having some problems with it, and I said something like "well, it's just fixing it's copy of the email."

She then asked if she could delete the emails, since there's a copy on the server.  I said, "no, if you do that, it'll delete it on the server too."  She then said, "so it's not a copy."

29 Aug 2010 - 11:24pm
3 years ago
28 replies
youkwon
29 Aug 2010 - 1:46pm
uxmovement

UI Lessons from the New Digg

New article posted about Digg's new interface. The article points out a couple flaws and how to appropriately solve them.

User Interface Lessons from the New Digg

29 Aug 2010 - 7:58am
3 years ago
3 replies
JasonAlexander

Wire Framing Templates

In my line of work I am more accustom to creating visual comps or high level screen designs.  I am trying to create more low level wire frames with annotations.  I was wondering if anyone had any wire frame templates available for MS Visio?

Also, I am seeking input as to when to add these annotations.

29 Aug 2010 - 2:30am
3 years ago
1 reply
danieljaeger

Event: IxDA Seattle: Touch and Beyond: Round Robin Presentations featuring projects from: Frog Design, Hornall Anderson (HAX), T-Mobile Creation Center and Wirestone

Ixda Seattle and Seattle Interact are proud to present:

the second of three events in the
Touch and Beyond: New Forms of Interaction series

...A round-robin presentation of work
featuring projects from: frog design, Hornall Anderson (HAX),
T-Mobile Creation Center and Wirestone

Please note that pictures and content for these presentations can not be made public. Thank you!

Presentations:

28 Aug 2010 - 11:28am
3 years ago
2 replies
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] New rule for posting jobs

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Dave Malouf wrote:

> This is not a "design problem" but a "relationship problem".

If so, what's the solution? Mass list counseling? That's a lot of billable hours for someone :-)

And do you think this is truly a 100% either/or issue -- that there's no possibility a "design problem" approach might result in at least some mitigating of the situation?

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan