Discussion Archive: July 2010

21 Jul 2010 - 8:02am
ashstar01

[EVENT] IxDA Chicago Summer Party

Come reconnect with your design community peers, commiserate over a summer of crazy clients, share stories, celebrate the sunshine, and have a drink.

We will be doing a Marshmallow Challenge (learn more here: http://www.marshmallowchallenge.com/Welcome.html) with prizes and food. Drink specials will be given for our group!

Come for a fun evening with fellow designers and design appreciators!

Sponsored by IxDA Chicago, IDEO, and Design Kitchen

RSVP on the main ixda site here:

21 Jul 2010 - 4:44am
NYC IxDA

[Event] IxDA New York: Innovation Made Physical: Bodystorming with Dennis Schleicher, Sat. Aug. 7th

Innovation Made Physical: Bodystorming with Dennis Schleicher
IxDA NYC is pleased to present two bodystorming workshops with Dennis Schleicher. Bodystorming is a participatory method for demonstrating or developing ideas in a physical setting.  Team members will explore ideas and interactions physically, using props such as maps or photos to give a sense of place. Come explore this unique method for bringing innovate ideas to life!

21 Jul 2010 - 4:31am
NYC IxDA

[Event] IxDA New York Summer Social, Wed. August 4th

Summer's not over. There's still time left to play!

20 Jul 2010 - 8:02pm
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Do you actually possess "design" skills

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Dave Malouf <dave.ixd@gmail.com> wrote:

You don't learn how to draw b/c you are going to draw your web sites. You learn how to draw, you learn color theory, you learn grid systems, you learn semiotics so you can be a better designer.

20 Jul 2010 - 6:03pm
headsetgroup

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Do you actually possess "design" skills

Reminds me of a conversation I got into with some chaps I was working with at PARC. Went like this: "One day your entire job will be designing the hole someone speaks into to interface with our software"

20 Jul 2010 - 3:18pm
+1
4 years ago
2 replies
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] Do you actually possess "design" skills

I should know to leave well enough alone given the depth of feelings some of the folks commenting in this thread clearly have on this matter, but I'm going to pose the question anyway.

20 Jul 2010 - 12:52pm
Laurian Gridinoc

Re: [IxDA] What's your job title?

I'm Creative Software Developer* :) I love the title and the fact that is so confusing for others :)
Cheers,

20 Jul 2010 - 10:40am
4 years ago
3 replies
headsetgroup

useful too for seeing mouse activity

Hi, maybe you guys already know about this, but we found this great tool. It's positioned as an "art" tool, but it's been great for us to quickly view mouse and click activity. It's free and available here: http://iographica.com/

[Actually, it IS nice art as well...]

We have no connection to this company - hope you like it.

20 Jul 2010 - 10:14am
4 years ago
3 replies
johnsonfung

What should I call myself

Hi all,

I am currently employ in a retail company doing all the marketing collateral such as presentation, user interface, etc....  Am I still consider an UI designer?  I do all the concept to final stage on the site.  The reason I ask because I am trying to locate a job as an UI.  I want to know will all my pass experience consider UI experience?

20 Jul 2010 - 9:26am
+2
4 years ago
12 replies
tuhin