Discussion Archive: July 2010

24 Jul 2010 - 1:26pm
+1
Terms:
Dave Malouf

Designing a Down-Up Organization

Just like Robert I've been given permission to redistribute my article via PDF from the latest print issue of IDSA's Innovation (print copy is member only).

I had been asked to write about IxDA and what makes IxDA special. I did that, by focusing on 1 aspect that i feel IxDA's foundation is built on and is also one of our greatest challenges. I hope you all appreciate this take and would appreciate your feedback.

You can get to the article via my blog at http://davemalouf.com/?p=1880

Enjoy!

-- dave

24 Jul 2010 - 12:54pm
+1
4 years ago
1 reply
Rob Tannen

Integrating UI Design within Industrial Design Firms

The editors at IDSA's Innovations magazine have been kind enough to allow me to provide a digital version of an article I co-authored in the latest issue (Summer 2010).  

24 Jul 2010 - 10:19am
4 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
Jared M. Spool

Actually, You Might Be Your User

Hello everyone,

One tension that frequently arises in trying to design usable systems is this idea that we're not our user and therefore we can't see the design the way they do. That's why we employ techniques such as usability testing, field studies, and personas.

But, what happens when we are the users? When we are designing for ourselves?

I wrote about this in a little piece I call "Actually, You Might Be Your User"

What do you think?

Jared

23 Jul 2010 - 4:58pm
4 years ago
2 replies
mdostert
23 Jul 2010 - 10:26am
4 years ago
1 reply
Marty DeAngelo

Creating Interactive PDFs - Need help

I've written a usability report that I converted from Word to a PDF (based on limited tools I have to work with), but wanted to add some interactive elements in it -- namely the ability (1) to show larger images and (2) play embedded videos from a link.  Unfortunately, despite the limited tutorials I've found and Adobe's mediocre help content, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it, and was hoping someone else has done something like this.

eloehfelm

UX tool for iPad: iBrainstorm from Universal Mind

We're very proud to announce the release of our FREE UX process tool for the iPad and iPhone, iBrainstorm!

www.ibrainstormapp.com

23 Jul 2010 - 9:10am
Danny Hope

[event] UX Brighton: Information visualisation mini event

(cross-posted)

Who: Jan Srutek of Flow What: Information visualisation – more than just eye candy When:10 August Where: Brighton Info: http://uxbrighton.org.uk/information-visualisation-mini-event/

--

This is a smaller event than usual but it will be a good one.

Information Visualisation (InfoVis) is a domain that has gained a lot of attention recently. The mass media seem to have fallen in love with information design too – feeding us with an infographic a day.

23 Jul 2010 - 8:31am
Manjunath

Control over print jobs(spam)

I work on web connected printer's UI work flow. HP web connected printer users currently have Spam blocked through the HP Spam Filter. However, some valid print jobs(emails/attachments) too find their way into the Spam folder. Additionally, some of the users would like to ensure that not all print jobs from white listed mail ids are printed right away. Hence, the users need:
1. ACCESS: Easy access to Printer Jobs that are Spam
2. CONTROL: Control of what they print on their printers

Appreciate if there is an ideal solution to this problem.

Regards,
KNM

23 Jul 2010 - 8:26am
Manjunath

Control over printing jobs(spam)

I work on web connected printer's UI work flow. HP web connected printer users currently have Spam blocked through the HP Spam Filter. However, some valid print jobs(emails/attachments) too find their way into the Spam folder. Additionally, some of the users would like to ensure that not all print jobs from white listed mail ids are printed right away. Hence, the users need:
 1. ACCESS: Easy access to Printer Jobs that are Spam
 2. CONTROL: Control of what they print on their printers

Appreciate if there is an ideal solution to this problem.

Regards,

23 Jul 2010 - 8:05am
MJ Broadbent

[Event Recap] IxDA NYC June 22 "iPad Confidential"

And now for this report...in the better-late-than-never category:

IxDA NYC assembled over 175 interaction professionals for our June 22
event, Jennifer Brook presenting “iPad Confidential: An Interaction
Design Case Study” Our host for the evening was Martha Stewart Living
Omnimedia, generously providing us with a huge space and fabulous
refreshments.