Discussion Archive: June 2010

4 Jun 2010 - 11:20am
4 years ago
3 replies
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] UI / UX / IA Definition and Recruiters

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Maurice Carty wrote:

> There has been this misconception about roles and what they entail. > In my opinion an IA should not be a programmer with C#, Java, CSS, JQuiry > skills, neither should be a UI or UX professional.

That reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? "trilingual" What do you call someone who speaks two languages? "bilingual" What do you call someone who speaks one language?

4 Jun 2010 - 8:59am
+4
3 years ago
12 replies
Maurice

UX - IA - UI - IxD (What do recruiters really want?)

I deleted this, but just had to repost it...

OK. Here's the jist.

I have had alot of recruiters contacting me about opportunities recently (I feel blessed). To be honest. I'M PISSED OFF about recruiters calling/emailing me about jobs who have NO IDEA about what the roles mean.

4 Jun 2010 - 8:53am
4 years ago
7 replies
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Death of the Desktop

The desktop is so one-dimensional. It needs to be destroyed and renamed!

On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:58 PM, elvenmuse wrote:

> exactly, it really doesn't make any sense to use a metaphor of desktop... > in something that can be a "laptop" or a "desktop computer". This desktop > metaphor, although useful in its time is now quite dated from a Design > POV. > > > @ nixkuroi - > > > > It would be to change the metaphorical usage of "Desktop" to one that > > mattered. > > > > On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:17 PM, nixkuroi wrote: > > > > > @Richard - How does that make it more usable?

4 Jun 2010 - 7:33am
4 years ago
1 reply
Melinda Bonneville

Re: [IxDA] To become an UI designer

Hi John,

I have been a designer and illustrator for more than 20 years. I have spent the last 12+ working as a web designer and UI designer. So, having given you my qualifications, here is my advice. Please feel free to ignore it.

I would show your next employer just your strongest pieces of student work. Even if it is only a few pieces (Less is more). They will want an idea of your skill level and they can get that from a few pieces of good work. I would also focus on highlighting your software skills.

3 Jun 2010 - 9:04pm
NYC IxDA

[EVENTS] IxDA NYC announces THREE June events!

Who ever said summer was the time to slow down? The Local Leaders of IxDA NYC have been extra busy and are pleased to offer you THREE exciting June evening events:

3 Jun 2010 - 8:10pm
Obinna Okoro

Re: Re: [IxDA] Speaker for a Usability lecture at a large corporate event? (Action Required)

Hello Jayson Elliot,

This message serves as notification that you will not receive any more courtesy notices from Boxbe members for two days. Messages you have sent will remain in a lower priority queue for our member to review at their leisure.

3 Jun 2010 - 1:47pm
Suzanne Ginsburg

iPad eReader UX Reviews

Hello IXDA folks,

3 Jun 2010 - 11:27am
johnsonfung

To become an UI designer

Hi everyone. I have a question for the UI designer who are employed in the field already.  I am studying UI and web design at a college right now.  My program should be over by the end of this year.  I want to know when I am applying a UI designer job, what kind of stuff should I show them since I don't have any experience before.  Also,  I am currently employed as a graphic designer, should I show them the stuff I do right now?  Any help from the experience designer will be great.

Thank you

3 Jun 2010 - 10:40am
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] The Next Generation of Flash User Experience

Sadly, the user experience would be to primarily focus on delivering more ads to our mobile phones. More tag lines, slogans and pick-me up lines to basically buy more products.... yay!

On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:02 AM, nixkuroi wrote:

> Just so you all know, a project called "Smokescreen" has been created and will, on the fly, convert SWF (even with Actionscript bytecode) into HTML 5/SVG. > > Info here: http://smokescreen.us/ [1] > > See @elvinmuse? It's not dead. It was just waiting for a new player :D

3 Jun 2010 - 10:20am
+1
Jennifer Wolfgang

Using buttons as CTAs (Calls to Action) vs. Text Links

In our work, everyone (stakeholders) wants to use a graphical button for their CTAs, often asking for multiple such buttons on a single page. The notion is that these will drive a higher conversion rate... ON THOSE links. (These are not form submits, remember.) A proof of concept was done late last year to test the effectiveness of buttons vs. links on a particular page. Here was the scenario:

Top segment homepage, containing the following...