Discussion Archive: June 2010

8 Jun 2010 - 8:19am
elvenmuse

Re: failure notice

I get one of this about 3+ times per week; it is from someone's e-mail domain.

from: MAILER-DAEMON@mail.bnu.edu.cn > Hi. This is the deliver program at mail.bnu.edu.cn.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following > addresses.
> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work > out.

> > jessieqianli@mail.bnu.edu.cn
> > reject mail
> > --- Attachment is a copy of the message.

> > [ÕâÊÇ·þÎñÆ÷ mail.bnu.edu.cn µÄͶµÝ³ÌÐò·µ»ØµÄÌáʾÐÅÏ¢]

8 Jun 2010 - 7:21am
Gareth R White

CFP: Video Game HCI (USAB 2010)

USAB 2010: HCI IN WORK & LEARNING, LIFE & LEISURE (ALL aspects of Human-Computer Interaction and Usability)
4.-5. November 2010
Klagenfurt University

7 Jun 2010 - 9:17pm
Jorge Vergara

Advice: web based software for knowledge base

I was looking for a web application to share some simple knowledge about the way we solve issues (bugs, small task) in our office. Some of them are very repetitive and every time someone new arrives at the group the same history is told over again. By the way, I'm at the design department.

7 Jun 2010 - 2:28am
4 years ago
24 replies
anuragd

Career Shift

Hi Guys,

I am a recent Computer Science graduate. I am looking to move into the field of Interaction Design. I have very little prior experience in the field, although I have done a lot of Photography and graphic design(portfolio: http://anuragd.com/portfolio.html)

I am unsure as to how to move into the field. I am ready to apply to graduate school, but my low GPA and lack of a IX portfolio is a barrier. Kindly advice on how to go about this?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anurag

6 Jun 2010 - 8:03am
Terms:
sudhindra

[EVENT] Bangalore - Usability - The Art of Writing, Usability Testing , June 12th

The STC India User Research and Usability SIG is pleased to announce two sessions on Saturday, June 12, 2010, at Cisco Systems India Pvt. Ltd., Divyashree Chambers, Bangalore.
1) Usability - The Art of Writing by Mohan Krishnaraj, Wipro
2) Usability Testing by Rajdeep Gupta, Misys

Details
----------

Agenda
----------
9: 30 am – 10: 00 am - Registration
10:00 am – 10:45 am - Usability - The Art of Writing

6 Jun 2010 - 6:37am
Chris McLay

Melbourne UX Movie Night tomorrow

Just a quick reminder that the first Melbourne UX Movie Night is tomorrow night, Monday 7th June at 6:00 pm. We are watching Jon Kolko’s keynote from Interaction 10, and giving away two copies of Jon’s book as well. All the details are here: http://uxmelbourne.org

Hope to see all you Melbournites there. Chris — Chris McLay. 041 123 9190 http://eeoh.com.au/chris/

6 Jun 2010 - 5:38am
William Hudson

London Card Sorting Course - Early Booking Discount

(Apologies if you receive more than one of these.)

4 Jun 2010 - 5:08pm
4 years ago
9 replies
Terms:
foochudoo

Effectiveness of a full page takeover overlay to promote an internal product?

A client of mine is requesting a full page overlay takeover, essentially dimming out the entire site and displaying a promotional ad right in the center of the user's viewpoint. The idea is that the user will see this takeover on their 2nd pageview, and will be forced to hit the close button if they're not interested.

I personally think it's bad UX design, a complete slap in the face to the user and should be executed differently. I believe this approach will actually decrease regular page views, because some people will just be annoyed and leave the site entirely.

4 Jun 2010 - 2:22pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
jgould

Nielsen Norman Group Usability Week -- feedback on tutorials?

Usability Week is coming to Toronto for the first time from August 9-14 and I am strongly looking at attending. The full and multiple-day tutorials overlap so it is hard to make a decision based on the topics alone. I would truly appreciate finding out about the quality of the lecturers, comprehensiveness of the take-home material, and overall usefulness for a UX practitioner's career growth.

I see there is a thread (http://www.ixda.org/node/23865) that discusses the value of the conference in general, but I'd like more nuts-and-bolts details as to the tutorials themselves.

4 Jun 2010 - 12:11pm
4 years ago
6 replies
uxidrohit