Discussion Archive: June 2010

9 Jun 2010 - 1:23pm
4 years ago
3 replies
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] Ang.: [IxDA] improvement request :: add jobs mailing list

here here.

I joined this list because I'm on the market (UX research), but I find the design thread immensely valuable. Once I'm placed, I fully want to keep receiving the design thread without the deluge of jobs (which are great right now).

-moses

--
Moses Wolfenstein
Doctoral Candidate
University of Wisconsin, Madison
www.moseswolfenstein.com

9 Jun 2010 - 12:12pm
4 years ago
1 reply
José Allona

looking for exploratory search references

Hi all, I'm doing some informal research on exploratory search. I've found some links on the web and in the acm library, but wanted to ask here if there is any seminal or concrete reference on this topic that I can dive into.

I've found the work of Ryen White and Gary Marchionini very interesting but I need to validate their research with some external opinions (yours) on the matter.

Any other links, pdf, authors, books would be appreciated.

Thanks

José

9 Jun 2010 - 12:11pm
4 years ago
1 reply
usabilitymedic

Re: [IxDA] improvement request :: add jobs mailing list

please do NOT turn off email!

while it has it's problems and yes, I'd like to see them fixed, i need the info pushed or i'll never see it b/c i can never seem to carve out time to visit the site. also, i don't use RSS. never liked it and it's not real push as far as my experience with it. plus, it requires using a browser, correct? the primary time i spend reading the ixda discussions is my commute...on my iphone. using the browser on the iphone is only good for things you need in a pinch...not for a real browsing experience.

9 Jun 2010 - 10:08am
abhishekbhor

Re: [IxDA] improvement request :: add jobs mailing list

"I'm personally starting to think that we need to turn off email completely and let the web site be the primary way to add content. People can use RSS to receive content as push. I was doing this for a long time b4 the big switch and it really worked well. The ONLY thing I would add that wasn't there b4 is a mobile version of the site, so that responding via smartphone is easier"
I would rather have email system than rss. So far rss didn't work for me. I am happy with receiving emails, and I hope it stays.

9 Jun 2010 - 10:02am
Oleh Kovalchuke

Strategy vs consultancy vs trivia vs interaction design?

Another interesting TED talk on transforming power of small behavioral design.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rory_sutherland_sweat_the_small_stuff.html

Perhaps the fourth quadrant should be called Emotional Design (wink, wink, Norman)?

Oleh Kovalchuke (816) 808-6177 Skype: tangospring

9 Jun 2010 - 12:49am
Stefan_Wallin
8 Jun 2010 - 8:29pm
4 years ago
15 replies
elvenmuse

improvement request :: add jobs mailing list

I suggest ixda.org mailing lists be separated in 2: "jobs" and "design".

...because most job offers don't even specify location (in the title); and some people are not currently looking for a job... among many other reasons.

Thanks

-- Vincenzi

8 Jun 2010 - 4:45pm
3 years ago
25 replies
Jessica Boggs

Wireframes. Creative or technical?

We are having an internal debate at our office.  We are a small interactive agency.  The debate is this: when you don't have a dedicated information architect, who does the wireframes?

8 Jun 2010 - 11:02am
4 years ago
8 replies
Craig Melbourne

Designing for a TV screen

I'm doing some design research for a client who offer a Video On Demand service in the UK. Currently, the service is predominantley available in a desktop browser environment. Sensible, they are now starting to get the service on to televisions via the slew of devices able to do this (games console, internet ready TVs etc...).

I've been asked to provide a 'best practice' design guidelines document based on existing IxD models to give them a strong base to start their design work. With particular interst in: