Discussion Archive: May 2010

4 May 2010 - 2:25pm
Boston IxDA

[event] Prototyping & Critique this Thursday

Hello Folks, we're really looking forward to seeing some of you at the event this Thursday, it's shaping up to be a very productive evening.  The event has in fact already started with attendees receiving documentation to review ahead of the workshop.  If you are planning on coming but have not RSVP'd - you are missing these communications.  RSVP link can be found here: http://bostonixda.org/

4 May 2010 - 7:00am
4 years ago
7 replies
jeff noyes

Agile release cycles: every three weeks bad?

My company releases software after each iteration. The result is a constantly changing platform. I suspect this is really bad for the user experience. Anyone have usage data, case studies, etc on this topic?

-- Jeff Noyes Director of User Experience | Acquia 978.296.5237 | @jeffnoyes

4 May 2010 - 2:00am
4 years ago
9 replies
Terms:
makabde

Web applications, Web sites - Boundaries

Hi all,

Yesterday, I had an interview for a position at a major online selling company. While discussing my work and my vision of usability and design, few questions came and I thought it could be a good point to share some of them and to have your inputs about these thoughts.

1. How are you making the difference between a web app and a website?

2. Do you consider Google as a web app or a website?

Feel free to answer or to give your thoughts about theses questions as I am looking to have different points of view.

Makram

4 May 2010 - 12:57am
4 years ago
1 reply
Stephen Collins

Re: [IxDA] Research Into Service Design Touchpoints

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Simon Clatworthy wrote: > I am working on developing tools to assist with touchpoint innovation for > the design of services. It seems strange, but the touchpoint term has become > central to service design and I can't find much research on the area at all. > Can anyone help me?

I'd be keen to see the same research. I'm working on a couple of ostensibly experience design projects at the moment, but am convinced that they need service design approaches in order to achieve the best possible client outcome.

3 May 2010 - 8:42pm
4 years ago
7 replies
Mike Dunn

What is the new metaphor?

With all of the talk lately of how devices like the iPad represent a democratization of computing and a casting off of the decades-old desktop metaphor in favor of a new one, the one question I keep asking myself is "what is the new metaphor?"  Is there even a real-life metaphor that can describe it? Any thoughts?

3 May 2010 - 1:55pm
Simon Clatworthy

Research Into Service Design Touchpoints

I am working on developing tools to assist with touchpoint innovation for the design of services. It seems strange, but the touchpoint term has become central to service design and I can't find much research on the area at all. Can anyone help me?

I am looking for academic research, the kind that is to be found at conferences, in journals and books without pictures. Anything referring to, analysing, mapping, discussing, designing or measuring touchpoints is of interest. 

3 May 2010 - 1:36pm
jet

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] An open letter to the IxDA Community

zakiwarfel wrote: > As most of the complaints that I've seen are related to the mailing > list, I think that this is one of the biggest points of failure. Perhaps > we can consider going back to Mailman for the list.

Please! I suspect I'm not the only person who enjoys the speed and simplicity of the email list, the ability to sort/kill topics within my own client, etc.

Maybe it's because I "grew up" on text-only forums like USENET/LISTSERV, but I find even the well designed web forums slow and clunky compared to email lists.

-- J. E.

3 May 2010 - 11:12am
4 years ago
1 reply
Mark Vanderbeeken
3 May 2010 - 8:53am
Suzanne Ginsburg

Two iPad UX Reviews

Hello everyone,

3 May 2010 - 6:51am
Tori Breitling

[EVENT] IxDA Austin // TODAY, Monday, May 3 // Designing Rich Applications: The process, patterns and design principles

Designing Rich Internet Appplications can challenge even the most experienced teams. Learn how to apply standard principles and patterns to design rich products that delight your customers. We'll look at hundreds of examples from the best RIAs in the market today while we learn how to design for richness on 4 levels: the application structure, the screen layouts, the UI controls, and the interactions.