Discussion Archive: May 2010

28 May 2010 - 9:42am
4 years ago
3 replies
Mabel Ney

Memory example (Soldiers on a plane)

I am looking for an example of cognitive interuption in which a person is shown an image, then a blank screen and an image that has somethign missing. Jared showed one at the Web App Masters Tour with soldiers getting onto a plane. Can ayone point me to an example?

Thanks!

Mabel Ney

Principal Interaction Designer

IDEXX Laboratories

28 May 2010 - 4:02am
aZippel4iD

Request for book recommendations on Behavioral Analytics

This is my very first post so I hope I don't do something wrong. I would really appreciate suggestions for books on Behavioral Analytics. Now that I've come out of the posting closet, I would just like to say thank you for the amazing wealth of knowledge you so freely give to all of us who are out there reading it.

27 May 2010 - 11:12pm
Jared M. Spool

Re: [IxDA] How to create interesting Portfolio?

Hi Amy,

I didn't send anything to anybody. I just posted a reply on the IxDA
site here:

http://www.ixda.org/mailcomment/redirect/%3C17573.25437.77402.1274807184.92e9b2f1c98432a44cb220855fe762fd%40ixda.org%3E

The site decided to send it to you. Sorry for any confusion,

Jared

On May 25, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Amy Donohue wrote:

> Did you send this to the wrong person??? > > On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Jared M. Spool
> wrote: >> Whoa, Dude! >> Nobody forced you to read anything. >> >> Will wrote a great, detailed response.

27 May 2010 - 5:21pm
Séamus T. Byrne

Call for speakers. IxDA Ireland (Dublin & Limerick) @ iHCI 2010

The fourth edition of the Irish Human Computer Interaction (HCI) Conference will take place at Dublin City University on September 2nd & 3rd 2010. Based on the success of the IxDA Industry session organised last year, IxDA Ireland was invited to organise a similar industry session for iHCI 2010. The industry session will take place in the afternoon of September 2nd 2010.

27 May 2010 - 1:47pm
+1
26 weeks ago
10 replies
ClarkValberg

Sketching: Tools of the Trade (Pens, Pencils, & More)

Anyone have any strong recommendations for specific models of pens or pencils for the UI sketching process? 

I'm also interested in any additional trusty accouterments you feel add to the process and quality (rulers, stencils, paper, etc). 

Direct links to purchasing pages would be a super bonus :)

Thanks, 
-- Clark Valberg
Epicenter Consulting
www.EpicenterConsulting.com

27 May 2010 - 11:30am
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Display a nickname or a surname and a name

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Patrice PENA wrote:

> imagine a user with a nickname. The same user > has a public page on a website to > display some information about him. Is it necessary to display his name > and his surname on this page ? Shall we only display the nickname ?

That's impossible to answer without knowing the context.

Does the user have an expectation of anonymity concerning her/his "real" name?

If not, is there value to others provided by revealing that name?

27 May 2010 - 9:20am
4 years ago
9 replies
Patricep

Display a nickname or a surname and a name

Hello,

Here a simple question but i don't know how to respond : imagine a user with a nickname. The same user has a public page on a website to display some information about him. Is it necessary to display his name and his surname on this page ? Shall we only display the nickname ?

I have to propose something about this page but i'm very embarassed with this question,

Thx to read me, your advices will be strongly appreciated.

27 May 2010 - 5:21am
4 years ago
1 reply
harrybr

Re: [IxDA] Protoshare, anyone?

Tony, have you tried it in an alternative browser? Some Firefox add-ons can have a big effect on performance...
Harry

26 May 2010 - 2:43pm
4 years ago
2 replies
100gram

Can anyone suggest a good virtual whiteboard?

Hello!

There is a thread on this forum but it's couple of years old about finding a good virtual whiteboard. Just wondering if anyone has come up with any good solutions since - open source or reasonably priced. I need a whiteboard to integrate into my site where tutors post classes so that they could use it right on the site - like learnbat or tutorvista (only we don't hire the tutors, it's like classifieds for classes) Needs to have basic "whiteboard" functionality plus voice and video, primarily for 1 on 1 sessions.

Any help is appreciated!

26 May 2010 - 2:40pm
4 years ago
7 replies
100gram

Can anyone suggest a good virtual whiteboard?

Hello!

There is a thread on this forum but it's couple of years old about finding a good virtual whiteboard. Just wondering if anyone has come up with any good solutions since - open source or reasonably priced. I need a whiteboard to integrate into my site where tutors post classes so that they could use it right on the site - like learnbat or tutorvista (only we don't hire the tutors, it's like classifieds for classes) Needs to have basic "whiteboard" functionality plus voice and video, primarily for 1 on 1 sessions.

Any help is appreciated!