Discussion Archive: April 2010

11 Apr 2010 - 10:38am
4 years ago
2 replies
Jean Schiller

thumnail sizes on product listing pages

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a guideline for how large a thumbnail image should be on a product listing page?  I know it is dependent on the type of product, but I'm looking for more guidance than that if there is any.

Thanks in advance,

Jean

9 Apr 2010 - 6:25pm
3 years ago
10 replies
Erica Osher

Landing Page Inspiration

Hi Everyone,

I am working on some Landing Page templates for an upcoming press release.  We are looking to introduce people to new functionality and are not an ecommerce site.  I am having a little trouble getting started and am looking for some inspiration/best practices.  The functionality is an advanced search for doctors.

Any great examples or thoughts on great landing pages?  Do you think it's useful to put forms on a landing page or should it just be a message and a button?

Thanks!

Tony J. Brown Ph.D.

Recovery.org - Visual Presentation of Quantitative Information

Hi All,

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with the RECOVERY.ORG website put out by the federal government?

I'd be interested in hearing any personal experiences or thoughts relative to the visual design style.  There was a piece on NPR about the website, and wondering if anyone within this community has direct experience or knowledge given the work of Edward Tufte.

9 Apr 2010 - 7:02am
+1
4 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
Matt Nish-Lapidus

list SPAM last night

Hi Everybody.

It looks like we somehow got a bout of spam in the discussions last night.  I've deleted it all and blocked the user, and I'm looking into how that could have happened so that we can fix whatever hole they used to get in.

Really sorry that happened, stay tuned for an update and a fix for this issue.

Matt

8 Apr 2010 - 4:33pm
4 years ago
8 replies
jknation

Alternative jobs relevant to UX research and design

I was fairly intrigued by this little bit burried in a thread about the lack of employment opportunities for junior UX folk.

"Along with that, I would encourage you to broaden your search beyond pure UX roles. BA roles, product manager roles and other roles in technology, experience delivery, or an industry of interest can be a great platform of experience on which to biuild a career."

I'm curious if anybody can expand on this. A few specific questions to get the ball rolling:

8 Apr 2010 - 4:08pm
4 years ago
4 replies
Matey Odonkor

Online Content Comsumption Pattern for 30-40 yr olds

I will like to hear from anyone who has done research on or knows the behavioral pattern of 30-40 year olds and their use of news/stories online. I am particularly interested in how they approach such content, what they do with it (e.g. share with friends), what content are they likely to approach and consume (hot topics, gossips, etc), what form of content (shorts, trailers, long, etc), etc.

jackz

Why should Computer Scientists study Information Design or Interaction Design?

I know there has been prior discussion to some aspects of what I am going to ask, but the background is a little different this time.

-After a Masters in Computer Science, why should one pursue Masters degree in Interaction Design or Information Design? At a more abstract level,  why are design studies essential for Software or Computer Science guys?

- Isn't it possible for a Software guy or a Computer Science guy to get the required knowledge in the areas of Information design and/or Interaction design with experience?

7 Apr 2010 - 1:12pm
4 years ago
6 replies
Yvonnia Martin

Leading a horse to water

Hi All:

Just curious: How do you work to convince the client that your solution should be implemented? I know this involves a great deal of "sales" skill, but what about those clients who make you really feel like you are trying to "lead a horse to water but he just won't drink"! There are some clients who will spend so much money on a consultant and never take a step toward implementing.

What are some of your tactics and advise?

--Y

7 Apr 2010 - 11:02am
2 years ago
11 replies
B Edward

Masters in Interaction Design/HCI

Hi all,

I know this question has been raised a number of times in the past but as my situation isn't quite the same as previous posters I hope someone can help me out.

7 Apr 2010 - 8:38am
4 years ago
1 reply
weyert de Boer

Identifying users without accounts

Hello,

I am currently working on a proof of concept and I would like to be able
to identify users without the need for the user to generate account and
such. The proof of concept consists of a console installation where the
user inputs POIs and then the user can refer a personalized leaflet/guide
based on his earlier entered data on his mobile device. Now I would like to
identify the user in some manner when he uses his mobile device (currently